Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Baltimore is now Fenway Park South

I attended the Orioles-Red Sox game at Camden Yards last Friday and was amazed at the amount of Boston fans at the game. The stadium has officially turned into Fenway Park South and will likely turn into Yankee Stadium South when New York comes to Baltimore.
The cheers for Boston's David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez far outweighed the light clapping for the Orioles' Miguel Tejada and Brian Roberts.
What has happened to all of the Orioles fans? Did they get demolished along with Memorial Stadium on East 33rd Street? Or are they just sick of the stigma of eight consecutive losing seasons?
Maybe it is partly because Washington now has the Nationals and the "tourist happy" Camden Yards has lost its lure with so many retro-style ballparks popping up around the country.
Whatever it is, I sure do miss Wild Bill Hagy and the Roar from [Section] 34.
"Let's go Red Sox! Let's go Red Sox!" just does not sound right in the Inner Harbor.

1 comment:

Jason Levine said...

As a Red Sox fan at last Sunday's game at Camden Yards, I couldn't have felt more comfortable if they were serving Fenway Franks and Polar soda. The vast majority of the crowd was made up of Red Sox Nation. Part of the fun of rooting for your team on the road is getting hassled by the home fans. I've been cursed at and had my hat stolen right off of my head (and that was just one day at Yankee Stadium!).
Come on O's fans. I know your team isn't that great, but have some pride.
After all, you have a great ballpark. I should know. I feel right at home there.