Sunday, July 30, 2006

July 30: BREAKING NEWS -- FRANKLIN RELEASED

Some news before today's doubleheader started ...

The Phils designated reliever Ryan Franklin for assignment and activated left-hander Randy Wolf, who is starting Game 1 of the doubleheader. The Phillies have until Aug. 9 to trade or release Franklin.

Franklin, 33, was 1-5 with a 4.58 ERA in 46 appearances. He signed a one-year, $2.6 million contract in January with the idea that he’d be in the Phils’ starting rotation, but he was moved to the bullpen late in spring training in favor of Gavin Floyd.

Floyd posted a 7.29 ERA in 11 starts and was sent to the minors. Franklin never grew comfortable with the relief role, allowing 10 homers in 53 innings.

“When I first signed here, they signed me to be a starter, and I did nothing in spring training to make them think I couldn’t start,” said Franklin, who posted a 3.38 spring-training ERA. “Then, they put me in the bullpen. I thought that was a mistake on their part, but I didn’t gripe or nothing.”

After right-hander Jon Lieber tore his groin May 29, Franklin said he approached manager Charlie Manuel and pitching coach Rich Dubee at least twice to volunteer his services in the rotation.

Both times, Franklin was told he was more valuable in the bullpen because of his ability to bounce back and pitch multiple days in a row.

The Phillies called up left-hander Eude Brito and right-hander Scott Mathieson from the minors. They also claimed Kansas City Royals castoff Adam Bernero and gave him a spot start June 30 at Toronto.

Neither Brito nor Bernero pitched well, and their stays with the Phillies were short-lived. The Phillies starting rotation had a National League-worst 5.51 ERA.

“The whole time, I see them bring up these young guys who haven’t proven themselves,” Franklin said. “It just keeps on piling on. Sooner or later, it gets to you.

“I think everybody on the whole coaching staff knew I wanted to start. It really wore on me mentally. I tried to put it out of my mind and get through it.”

Manuel said he offered Franklin a chance to start July 2 at Toronto, but Franklin preferred to remain in the bullpen rather than making a spot start.

“He said he didn’t want it to be a one-game thing,” Manuel said. “I thought I was honest and open with him the whole time. I felt he could throw a couple innings out of the bullpen. I felt that would help the team and help his career.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But how about the lineup?????????????????????