Tuesday, June 27, 2006

BREAKING NEWS: Myers sent home

Five days too late, the Phillies have finally done the right thing.

Today in Baltimore, the Phillies and Brett Myers released statements that Myers has requested and received time off to begin reconciling his marital and legal problems stemming from his arrest last Friday night for allegedly hitting his wife on a Boston street corner.

My only question: why did this take five days? Instead of making insensitive remarks like, "I'm only sorry this got public," Myers should've asked for the time off -- or been told to go away -- after the incident occurred. GM Pat Gillick should've known better than to stand in front of reporters and say Myers would pitch Saturday because "he's our best pitcher" and "it's in the best interest of the team."

Shame on the Phillies for how they bungled this matter.

My colleague, Geoff Mosher, is filling in for me tonight and will have complete coverage in tomorrow's News Journal and at www.delawareonline.com. For now, though, here are transcipts of both statements.

Brett Myers Statement
On the day of my arrest, I consulted with my attorney by phone, who advised me to make no comments about this matter. While I followed his advice at the time, I have felt the need to make some comments about this situation and I do so now.

First, while I dispute that the facts are as alleged, I recognize that my behavior was inappropriate and for that I apologize.

Second, I recognize that the incident created an embarrassing situation for many people, including my wife and family, my teammates, the Phillies organization, and fans, and I am very sorry for that.

Third, my wife and children are very important to me and I am willing to do whatever is necessary to address any problems that might harm our marriage. I have asked the Phillies for some time off so that I can concentrate on this matter and make plans for whatever assistance is appropriate.

At this time, I do not intend to make any further public comments about this matter.

Craig Landis, Agent for Brett Myers
Landis Baseball Group

Phillies Statement on Brett Myers
            The Phillies have agreed to Brett Myers’ request for time off to concentrate on personal matters associated with his arrest in Boston last week.  He is expected to be off for two and one-half weeks, through the All Star Break, until July 14.  The Phillies have made available appropriate, professional, employee assistance resources to help Brett and Kim Myers in these circumstances.

            After last Friday, the Phillies did not comment further on the events surrounding the arrest of Brett Myers out of respect for the Myers’ privacy and because there is a criminal prosecution pending.  Likewise, the Phillies did not summarily suspend Brett Myers immediately upon his arrest, prior to any judicial determination of guilt or complete evaluation of the entire matter.  Such a decision, unfortunately, has been portrayed or interpreted as the Phillies indifference to problems of spousal abuse.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  We abhor such violence and recognize that it is a very serious problem affecting a substantial number of victims, particularly women, across the country.
           
If we have been guilty of delay in expressing these sentiments, we are sorry.  We have been engaged in a difficult balancing of concerns for the rights of our employee, the presumption of innocence, the rights of his spouse, and the legitimate public concern about allegations of spousal abuse by a Phillies ballplayer.  We believe that the present status, including a public apology by Brett Myers, time off from baseball, professional assistance for Brett and Kim Myers, and this statement achieves the appropriate balance for now.

                                                David Montgomery
                                                President
                                                The Phillies

No comments: