Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Leftovers

So much happened in tonight's game that, invariably, some of it won't make your morning paper. Here, then, are some notes, quotes and observations that you won't be reading over breakfast.

***

By now, you're probably familiar with the feud between Mets closer Billy Wagner and Phillies left fielder Pat Burrell, who allegedly called Wagner "a rat" last season when they were teammates in Philadelphia.

Well, they faced each other in the ninth inning, and Burrell ripped a line drive down the third-base line that was snared by Mets third baseman David Wright with a sensational backhand.

Wagner's reaction?

"MVP. Gold Glove. Isn't that the chant they say at Shea every time he comes out on the field - MVP?" Wagner said. "That was a big play for us. I told him, we're even, but don't think you can't pick me up some more. That was big."

Truth is, Wright will be a star in the majors for years. I watched him play in the minors and saw him have games like this (go-ahead homer, game-saving play) on a routine basis.

***

The Phillies hit five home runs, including David Dellucci's pinch-hit, three-run shot in the eighth. That's a whopping 44.2 percent of their runs this season that have been scored via the homer, a staggeringly large number. It's gotten to the point where the Phillies rarely win when they don't go deep.

***

With the Phils trailing 9-7, Jimmy Rollins was thrown out trying to steal second in the eighth inning, ending a potential rally.

In case you're wondering, Rollins has a green light to steal whenever he sees fit. But, the Phillies have a "hold" sign that they can relay from the dugout if they don't want him to go. According to manager Charlie Manuel, that sign was given to third-base coach Bill Dancy, but Rollins didn't pick it up.

"We had trouble getting [Rollins'] attention," Manuel said. "I did not want him to run there. We gave the hold sign from the bench, but evidently, he didn't see it. We were trying to hold him there. I asked him about it after the game, and his answer to me was, 'We usually go there.'"

***

More from Wagner after his first appearance at Citizens Bank Park since leaving the Phillies in the off-season:

"I had a lot of adrenaline, but that was just the situation. You know you have to go in there and make pitches."

So, there was no adrenaline because of pitching in Philly?

"I've got 10 years in. I'm more concerned in trying to win a championship than going out there than impress the Philadelphia fans or Philadelphia. I'm trying to win for the Mets. That was my only concern. I wanted to me the best of the opportunity [Mets manager] Willie [Randolph] has given me.

Did he get any grief from fans while warming up in the bullpen?

"No. I didn't have time to. I think I threw about 12 pitches and they said you're in the game."

No comments: