Thursday, December 20, 2007

Dec. 20 -- PHILS SIGN JENKINS AND (ANOTHER) DURBIN

So, I'm preparing for a final night of vacation here in Munich, Germany (I fly home tomorrow), but I wanted to pass along a long-distance "this-just-in" from the Phillies ...

Geoff Jenkins and Chad Durbin have agreed to contracts and will be introduced to the media in a few hours at the Bank. Obviously, I won't be there. But we'll have you covered in the 50-center tomorrow anyway, and I'll be back with something in the Sunday MLB notes.

Clearly, Jenkins addresses the Phillies' need for another outfielder in the aftermath of Aaron Rowand's departure to the Giants last week. Jenkins, who signed a two-year, $13 million deal with an option that could increase the total value to approximately $20 million, is a left-handed hitter with some power, and he will platoon with Jayson Werth in right field and give Pat Burrell occasional rest in left. In 420 at-bats last season for Milwaukee, Jenkins hit 21 homers and drove in 64 runs. His best season came in 2000 when he batted .303 with 34 home runs and 94 RBIs. Earlier this offseason, GM Pat Gillick said it would be "a stretch" for the Phils to go into 2008 with Burrell, Shane Victorino, Werth and little else in their outfield. But with Jenkins and Chris Snelling added to the mix, they seem well set.

Durbin (no relation to J.D. Durbin) may provide depth to the rotation and can also pitch out of the bullpen. He signed a one-year deal, so signing Durbin doesn't necessarily prevent the Phillies from signing another pitcher, perhaps Kris Benson. Personally, I think the Phillies still need more pitching, although I'm not sure where they'll find it.

As I said, I'll have more once I return. Thanks to Matt In Philadelphia, Rob and everyone else for keeping this thing going with opinionated -- and informative -- comments in my absence. For now, I'll present this offensive comparison of the 162-game averages from Rowand's and Jenkins' careers and ask you, are the Phillies better off now than they were last season?

Rowand: 508 AB, 80 R, 145 H, 32 2B, 2 3B, 18 HR, 66 RBI, 31 BB, 96 K, .286 AVG, .343 OBP, .462 SLG
Jenkins: 579 AB, 87 R, 160 H, 38 2B, 3 3B, 28 HR, 92 RBI, 52 BB, 147 K, .277 AVG, .347 OBP, .496 SLG

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott,
I like the idea of comparing the full-season career averages for these guys, but one thing bothers me -- you haven't taken into account the stadiums that those guys were playing in. Over the past two years, Rowand's been playing in the bandbox called Citizens Bank Park, whereas Jenkins has been in Miller Park. Also, Rowand's more of an every-day player than Jenkins is, and Jenkins was brought in to platoon with Werth, not start nearly every game.

And it looks like I was right - the Phillies signed Durbin. I think I had mentioned this back on the comment board for the list of non-tenders.

SirAlden said...

The Phillies are better off, if we project Rowand regressing to the mean.

The Phillies also have Bruntlett vs. Nunez.

13th Batter OF (L)or(S), glove/Speed/Defense

Chris Snelling (L)
Chris Roberson (S)
Brandon Watson (L)

instead of Bourne.

Coste or Jaramillo at back-up catcher, and most importantly, potentially one more month of Howard, Utley vs Iguchi, and Victorino.

The team should top the Division and the League in Runs Scored for the Third Straight Year.

The only thing left on the hitting side of the fence is if the Phillies Land Beltre or Crede which would make things even better.

Anonymous said...

Since Bourn is gone we should have a got a few of those sausages from the 7th inning DOLLAR HOT DOG race to use as pinch runners!!!

Anonymous said...

I am very happy with the Jenkins signing! I have a very good feeling about it! But then again, I was happy and had a good feeling about the Garcia signing last season...

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,
Could you tell me what happens with the Phillies draft picks now that they signed Jenkins?

Do they lose their first-round pick?

Scott Lauber said...

Anonymous, 6:02: Great question. So great, in fact, that you should've put your name to it!

Anyway, Jenkins was a Type C, non-compensation free agent, which means the Phillies don't lose anything for signing him. Interestingly, Jenkins was the highest-ranked NL outfielder or first baseman in the Type C category, percentage points behind final Type B player, Nick Johnson.

Anonymous said...

Scott,
That last anonymous was me. I was in a hurry to get out the door when that question hit me and I forgot to type my name.

Thanks for the info, though. It makes a good signing a great one because of the fact that we give up absolutely nothing other than money to sign him. Awesome deal.