Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Dec. 5 -- WHAT'S UP, CHUCK?

NASHVILLE -- Spent time this morning with Charlie Manuel. Some highlights:

* The Phillies won the NL East last season, fulfilling Jimmy Rollins' "team to beat" claim and earning Manuel a two-year contract extension. But the skipper still is well-aware of how dangerous the Mets are. And, any day now, he's waiting to hear that they've become even more dangerous by making a trade. "I look at the Mets right now, if you want to know the truth, and I say to myself, 'When are they going to do something?' I know they're going to go out and try to win next year as much as anybody in our league. I feel like they've got something up their sleeve. I don't think they're going to expose themselves. I think there's things they're going to do yet, especially in the pitching area." (For what it's worth, we're still hearing the Mets aren't serious players for Erik Bedard or Dan Haren. That could change, of course).

* Manuel and pitching coach Rich Dubee juggled like circus clowns last season, blowing through a franchise-record 28 pitchers. And, while acquiring another starter and a reliever would certainly help, Manuel is looking for a few internal candidates to step forward. Who will be the 2008 version of Kyle Kendrick? Joe Bisenius in the bullpen, perhaps? Or Fabio Castro? "When we have our meetings, I always talk about Bisenius because of his breaking ball and his stuff," Manuel said. "Even when I don't talk a lot about him, I still think about him. I think he needs more experience and command, and he could be a guy that pitches in the major leagues. For me, Castro's kind of like J.C. Romero. I look at Castro as a situational guy early in the big leagues. The more success he has, he may move back toward the back of the bullpen."

* On Ryan Madson: "Right now, he can pitch for us anywhere from the sixth through the eighth inning. Madson has yet to reach his potential or show the expectation that our organization has had for him. If he pitched to his potential, that would be really good."

* Manuel realizes the value of retaining top prospects. But, as a manager, his job is to win now, not five years from now. So, if the Phillies can acquire a quality major leaguer by trading a prospect, he's all for it. "In that trade Detroit made yesterday, most people look at that and say the Detroit Tigers got Dontrelle Willis, he's a proven major league player, still 25, 26 years old. Andrew Miller's a guy, 22, first year in the big leagues, just came out of North Carolina. I like the hell out of Miller. But, at the same time, Detroit got a proven guy. If I could project Miller, I think he's going to be a real big pitcher. But Detroit got a young, proven guy. Florida's looking for the future, and Detroit's looking for now. I think with the players that we've got on offense, I think our future's the next two or three years, as far as having a real big team." (Note: Manuel has a two-year contract, too).

OK, must get back to the lobby. More later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the Florida Marlins and to the Detroit Tigers. One knows that they are playing for right now. They get a stud pitcher and a stud player at 3rd. The other knows they don't have a prayer right now, so they pull off a blockbuster that should make them extremely competetive in a couple of years.

Unfortunately, the Phillies haven't ever really had a clue as to whether they wanted to play for now or for later. This team has nice players, but we knew going into last season we had huge holes. We know we have huge holes right now. We need an outfielder, a starting pitcher and 3rd base desperately not to mention we could use an upgrade at catcher and another proven reliever. We won't get the catcher or reliever...we'll be lucky to get another starter much better than Adam Eaton.

I know they are "trying" at the winter meetings...I'm saying stop trying...just get it done.

Identify if we are playing for right now, if we are playing for a couple of years from now or if we just want to fall short of the blockbuster and bring in another Eaton/Barajas/Werthless/Helms/Dobbs again this year and remain close to a Wildcard spot to fill the seats at CBP.

I love this team, but I have no faith in this team. They are still clueless. They still have no commitment to winning. The organization(that's an oxymoron right there) is still a joke. I get to feel that way after 30 years of emotional and financial investment in this team and if by very slight chance the Phils surprise me by snagging a Bedard or Haren no can tell me they told me so...I've stuck by this loser of a franchise for 30 years and I'm entitled to it should they capture lightning in a bottle and make the playoffs for only the fifth time in the last 30 years of my fandom.

It's time to decide if they'll make it happen or remain bystanders as usual.

If it take Carrasco, Victorino, Cardenas and another top prospect to get Bedard or Haren then make it happen, get their extension completed and then resign Rowand to replace the loss in Victorino since the Phils won't pay over slot for the very draftpicks they needed to keep in order to create depth and decent trade proposals.

Get it done...in the last 30 years we have never been better position to contend for a World Series. Or don't get it done...I am used to that...

Anonymous said...

Scott,

Why is it so QUIET???

Anonymous said...

Phillyfanatic _ Carrasco, Victorino, Cardenas and another top prospect for a pitcher who will be 28 years old on opening day and has a career record of 40 and 34? Bedard's a stud, but he's never pitched 200 innings in a season, and he has said he won't sign a contract extension. I don't think it's the Phillies who are clueless ...