Monday, November 10, 2008

Nov. 10 -- JIMY WILLIAMS LEAVES (UPDATED)

BY SCOTT LAUBER

Charlie Manuel needs a new right-hand man.

Jimy Williams, Manuel's bench coach for the past two seasons, has opted not to accept an invitation to return to the Phillies' coaching staff in 2009. No further details were provided by the club (working on getting more info). Williams is 65 years old. He has not been mentioned as a candidate for the Mariners' managerial vacancy.

Hitting coach Milt Thompson, pitching coach Rich Dubee and first-base coach Davey Lopes have agreed to terms on contracts for 2009.


(Updated, 7:27 p.m.): Just talked to Manuel, and he said he's surprised that Williams isn't returning. As far as he knows, Williams doesn't have any serious health problems and doesn't believe he is thinking of retiring.

"I talked to him right at the end of the year, and I told him how good a job he did and that I was looking forward to having him back," Manuel said. "He wasn't upset or nothing. It was one of those things that I think he wants to see what he wants to do. As far as I know, it's not like that he left on a bad note. He was pretty happy. I guess there's things he wants to think about. He had a bad hip, and his knees bothered him at times. I don't know if he's looking to retire. I think he's definitely thinking about some things. He's at the stage of his career where he thinks about what he wants to do. I plan on talking to him in the next couple days and kind of feeling him out and find out what's going on."

I asked if it's possible that Williams may change his mind.

"To me, it doesn't seem that way," Manuel said. "But I'll call him in a couple days and see where he's at. I think Jimy will stay in the game. It's not one of those deals where a guy was upset. That's not the case at all."

Manuel said he and Amaro will move quickly to replace Williams and third-base coach Steve Smith, who was fired last week.

No comments: