Sunday, April 20, 2008

April 20 -- MORE ON ROLLINS

So, Jimmy Rollins is taking the blame for not agreeing to go on the disabled list sooner, and before tonight's game, assistant GM Ruben Amaro Jr. admitted the Phillies probably erred by not forcing the issue. These quotes -- from Rollins, Amaro and Charlie Manuel -- come courtesy of colleague Geoff Mosher, who's pinch-hitting at The Bank as I travel to Denver for the opener of the Phillies-Rockies series tomorrow.

Rollins: "Most of it was me. [Athletic trainer] Scott [Sheridan] asked me if I was willing a couple days ago, but my idea was to keep going if I could work on it. You know pain is going to be associated, and that's part of it. I don't mind that. But not being able to go out there and be useful was really the ultimate decision.

"It's going to take, at best, a week before you can go out and play, and that's under very good circumstances. The average time is three weeks, 21 days, so getting on [the DL] now only puts me at 25. I was trying to see how far I could go. There wasn't any swelling. There was just it being tender, and of course, going on the DL is something I don't look forward to."

Amaro: "We had talked through this whole process about whether it made sense for us to DL him. Jimmy didn't feel comfortable with that situation. His ankle continued to feel better. It just got to the point where it maxed out. He didn't get to the point where he could play like Jimmy Rollins could play without risking more injury and we agreed."

Manuel: "When he first got hurt, and he came out the next day, the way he was moving around I didn't think it was going to be very long. I definitely didn't think it was going to be 10 days to two weeks or something like that. But that's why you got doctors and that's why there are trainers, and that's why I'm not a doctor and I'm not a trainer."

***
A few quick observations from the Phillies' sweep-averting 5-4 win tonight:

1. From the files of what's in a name, how often do you see Pedro Feliz homer against Pedro Feliciano? Actually, tonight was the first time. And it was a big home run, a game-winner, in fact.

2. Chase Utley has five homers in his last four games.

3. Nobody expects Eric Bruntlett to hit like Rollins. But if he can keep making plays like the one on Carlos Beltran to end tonight's game, he'll have done his job in replacing Rollins.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could have predicted this. Takes about 10 days vacation and then goes on the DL for a few more.

Anonymous said...

Whats your take Scott on the two call-ups?

Anonymous said...

Slauber, inquiring minds want to know: Are you David Wright's good luck charm?

Scott Lauber said...

Paul W: I think the Phils called up two players who aren't expected to play everyday. Bruntlett will continue to play shortstop until Rollins comes back, so Harman is here to come off the bench. Same with Bohn, who will play the same pinch-hitting role that Snelling was serving. Of course, the call-ups also reinforce that the Phils don't have many major-league ready position prospects.