Sunday, April 27, 2008

April 27 -- IS MYERS HURT?

PITTSBURGH -- So, once Charlie Manuel had met with us reporters after today's 5-1 loss to the Pirates, he had a 10-minute, closed-door meeting with Brett Myers. I can't be exactly sure what was said, but I can almost guarantee that, at some point, these three words came out of Chuck's mouth.

What the hell?

It's a legitimate question.

Through six starts, Myers is 2-2 with a 5.11 ERA. His fastball, once a consistent 92-95 mph, has barely topped 90 mph, and often, he has abandoned the pitch for a cutter. He threw almost as many cutters (27) as fastballs (37) today, even though he and pitching coach Rich Dubee agreed before the game that he'd throw more fastballs and curves and scrap the cutter. And the weak-hitting Pirates teed off for four runs on eight hits (including two homers by Nate McLouth) in five innings.

Some sobering numbers for Myers:

7.50: His ERA in his last two starts. He has allowed 10 runs on 19 hits in his last 12 innings.
10: Homers he has allowed in 37 innings. Last year, he allowed nine homers in 68-2/3 innings.
89: According to Manuel, the top speed of his fastball against the Pirates.

Which brings us back to the initial question: What the hell?

"I don't know," Myers said. "I'm trying to throw it as hard as I can every time. There's no mishits. It's kind of like the ball McLouth hit. I felt like if it was 92-93 instead of 88 or whatever, he could have mishit, popped it up or fouled it back. I'm not getting any of that right now. I haven't really been getting it the whole season. I'm trying to pitch with my offspeed stuff. I never knew how to pitch at 87, 88. It's different for me."

Myers reiterated that his arm feels fine. "That's the thing why I can't figure it out," he said. "It's not like I'm hurt. It's not like it's aching. It's not like I can't throw or anything like that. I've had times where it is barking a little bit, and I still go out there and throw 92-93. Right now it just ain't coming out. It's like doo-doo going up there. They say you go through dead-arm periods or whatever, but usually it's never lasted for six starts. I'm not the guy that's going to make excuses or anything like that. It's just tough for me to try to pitch with that when I never really have before. It's kind of a learning experience also. Not every game am I going to feel good, but at least I'll have something on the ball. Right now I'm just throwing 86 mph fastballs and trying to let it go. I don't know."

Dubee has his own theories. After today's game, he told us he'd like Myers to play long-toss two or three times a week to continue building arm strength. Myers isn't a big long-toss fan. If anything, Dubee said, Myers will throw only about five long-tosses on the day he starts, none in between. Dubee also thinks Myers needs to keep throwing his fastball (instead of the cutter), even if the velocity isn't there.

"I think it's as simple as him throwing more fastballs and him getting out there and playing some more long toss," Dubee said. "He's not a real big believer in long toss. And I am. I think that's one way you build up arm strength, some elasticity in his arm. I think it's something he has to buy into a little more. Again, look into the preparation, maybe. Maybe his [last] couple outings will [make him] see the light. I don't know."

Asked if he thinks Myers is hurt, Dubee said, "I can only go off what he says. But whether it's 88, 90 or 92, there are a lot of guys pitching in this league at 88 without the other weapons that he has, the curveball, the splitter, the slider. You pitch with whatever you have. The fact of the matter is you pitch down in the strike zone and you locate your fastball. This isn't a slap by any means but Jamie Moyer throws 80, 82. How does he do it? He changes speeds and pitches down. There's a knack for pitching with whatever you have, but the first thing you have to be able to do is command it."

So, what do you think is wrong with Myers? Is his problem with his arm or between his ears?

***
T-minus eight hours before I have to leave for the airport to catch my flight home. When the cab arrives at my hotel, I'll leave breathtaking PNC Park (right) in the rear-view mirror. Since the Phillies won't play here again until next year, I thought I'd run down my list of top-five major-league ballparks.

1. Camden Yards (Baltimore): The first of the retro parks is still the nicest.
2. PNC Park (Pittsburgh): If only the Pirates were as great as their ballpark.
3. AT&T Park (San Francisco): Catch a ball in McCovey Cove or try a Sourdough bread bowl.
4. Yankee Stadium (New York): OK, I'm biased. I saw my first game here. And probably my second, third, fourth, 10th, 20th. I'll be sorry to see it go.
5. Fenway Park (Boston): Another sentimental pick since I once lived across the street in Kenmore Square. Few things are more striking than the Green Monster.

Honorable mention: Coors Field (Denver), Wrigley Field (Chicago), Citizens Bank Park.

Which ballparks make your list?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Listen to him speak - he's not real bright. The only one in fear of his fastball is his wife.

Anonymous said...

a yankees fan! No!

Anonymous said...

Thought the boys looked flat yesterday, Myers struggles aside. Maholm is serviceable, but not as good as our bats made him look. Any chance they were out late Sat night?