Thursday, August 03, 2006

Aug. 2: POSTGAME -- LIEBERTHAL SPEAKS


Had a pretty revealing conversation today with Mike Lieberthal, the longest-tenured Phillie and a soon-to-be free agent. Here's a partial transcription. The full story will be in Thursday's News Journal, but I'm curious to know what you think: Do you want to see Lieberthal back with the Phillies next season.

Q: Are you thinking about next season?
A: From what I've heard, [the Phils] are not going to pick me up next year. I have no chance of coming back. So they’re in a situation where they’ve got to find out what Chris [Coste] can do, and he’s been hitting.

Q: Did the Phillies tell you that?
A: No, but everybody is telling me – the media, TV [announcers], everybody.

Q: Would you want to come back?
A: I’m hoping to come back. Even if I don’t get a starting job, which I probably won’t, I’ll be a backup. And if it was [in Philadelphia,] it would be fine. I have a house here. I’m comfortable here.

Q: Money doesn’t matter?
A: I’ve already made enough money. I’m just playing to win and to play in a place you’re happy. I want to play as long as I can, as long as my body lets me.

Q: After last weekend's trades of David Bell, Bobby Abreu, Cory Lidle and Rheal Cormier, what are your feelings on the organization seemingly going in a different direction?
A: [Ryan] Howard and [Chase] Utley really can carry us to the playoffs. I still think we have a chance because the guys that we have in the core of the lineup can carry a team. If our pitching does well, and it possibly could, then we still have a chance.

Q: Bell is in a similar situation to you in the sense that he's a soon-to-be free agent. After seeing him get traded last week, did you think you might be next?
A: Not really, because my situation, coming back from an injury and not really playing very much, I really didn’t see it happening. I assumed I’d be here throughout the year. But this month, they could work out a trade [through waivers] or release me. Anything could happen.

Q: Are you envious of Abreu, Lidle and Sal Fasano, who, within the past two weeks, have all gone to the Yankees in trades and have a chance to make the playoffs?
A: I’m very happy for them. They wanted to go to a situation where they can win. I’d rather stay here. I want to stay here until the end. I want to stay in Philly. It’s been fun.

Q: So, you would come back for less money? (Lieberthal is making $7.5 million this year)
A: Exactly. Depending on how the next two months go, there might be a starting job that opens up. You never know. Right now, I’d say probably not. But things can change.

Q: Some players say they can’t wait to leave Philadelphia, due to media, boos, front office. What makes you so willing to stay?
A: It depends on your personality. You can’t let outside things affect you. I look at all the fans who do like me and supported me. And I really don’t pay attention to the media or read newspapers. I like playing in Philly, even with all the crazy boos. Whatever. I’ve been in Philly for so long. I got booed in Philly in ’94. Yhere was a ball going into the dugout and it hit the edge and came back in, and I kind of stopped and I got booed. Nothing’s changed, except there are more people in the stands. It was my second big-league game. If I could handle it then, I can handle it now.

Q: How are your knees (he's had six operations)?
A: I can still catch every day. But running gets to me a little bit more. It kind of comes and goes. I have bad weeks and good weeks.

Q: Would you consider retirement, given your health problems?
A: That’ll probably be a decision for the offseason, when I get a few more games under my belt. As long as I feel I can keep playing physically, I want to play.

No comments: