Monday, August 21, 2006

Aug. 21 -- MOYER TRADE ... YOUR THOUGHTS?

Greetings from Chicago. This is my first trip to the Windy City, and it's every bit as awesome as I've been told. Throughout the week, I'll try to offer some flavor of the city, Wrigley Field and everything else Chicago has to offer.

For now, though, I want to discuss the Jamie Moyer trade.

I know Moyer was only 6-12 for the Mariners. And I know he's 43 years old. But he arrives with a 4.39 ERA that's already the lowest among Phillies starters (Brett Myers and Cole Hamels have a 4.40). Let's not forget that he also has been pitching in the American League. My counterpart from another newspaper guessed last night that a 4.39 ERA in the AL may be in the 3.90 range in the NL. I think the Phillies would sign up for that. He's also received the lowest run support in the AL, and the Phillies have posted double-digit run totals in four of their last seven games.

Add the fact that they didn't give up any top-tier prospects or anyone who would've helped them in the next few years, and I don't see how this could possibly be viewed as a bad trade, even if Moyer stinks in Philly. It's a low-risk (some would say, no-risk), high-reward move by GM Pat Gillick, with the reward being the Phillies first playoff berth since 1993.

But enough of my opinion. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great move end of story. Of course we need to see some results. At his age and the speed at which he throws I am not at all worried about fatigue. The only thing is is he capable of getting past the 7th inning on a regular basis? Heck I'll even take the 6th inning. The Phils gotta keep hitting.