Thursday, August 10, 2006

NL EAST POLL

So far, got lots of good responses to the reader poll posted below about the best young player in the NL East. Interestingly, there's a lot of debate about the best third baseman -- David Wright, Miguel Cabrera or Ryan Zimmerman?

My vote is for Wright, and here's why. Wright is better defensively than Cabrera, better offensively than Zimmerman, and at age 23, undaunted by the pressures of New York. Within the next few years, I expect that he'll be named captain of the Mets, their answer to Derek Jeter.

That said, Cabrera and Zimmerman are awesome. Can you imagine how ridiculously good the Phillies' infield would be if they had any of them? Here are some stats for all three, plus Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Jose Reyes to help you weigh in.

I'll ask the question again: Who's the best young player in the NL East? Keep those responses coming!

a) Ryan Howard (26 years old): .293 / 39 HR / 102 RBI / .622 SLG
b) Chase Utley (27): .328 / 21 HR / 74 RBI / 33 2B / 95 R
c) Jose Reyes (23): .296 / 11 HR / 54 RBI / 14 3B / 94 R / 48 SB
d) David Wright (23): .314 / 22 HR / 86 RBI / 29 2B / .552 SLG / 14 SB
e) Miguel Cabrera (23): .337 / 17 HR / 76 RBI / 36 2B / .555 SLG
f) Ryan Zimmerman (21): .290 / 15 HR / 75 RBI / 35 2B / .483 SLG

***

Got home at 2:30 a.m. Thursday after my flight from Atlanta was delayed by about an hour because of bad weather. When I woke up this morning, a little more bleary-eyed than usual, I realized how lucky I was.

A friend who covers the Phillies for another paper in the area flew home today and was stranded in the line at airport security in Atlanta for about 90 minutes while people emptied their bags of any liquids, including shaving cream, mouthwash and other items you'd never hesitate to shove into any bag you'd carry on to a plane.

All because of another terrorist threat.

Thing is, I've never feared flying. Used to do it all the time in college whenever I'd come home for the holidays. I'm not one of those people who sweats when it's time to board the plane, and I guess that's a good thing considering how often my job requires me to do it.

But some days, you can't help feeling a little afraid.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont know the age thing does not bother me. Three years difference will matter in ten years. But now who cares. Overall I still have to go with Utley. Bats left throws right plays up the middle. Just had one of the longest hitting streaks ever. Should have been starting his first year but the Phils and their stupid management of Utley and Polonia kept him from putting up good numbers sooner.

All the others are great players too. Cant argue with that. Maybe a comparison of the leagues young players at each position may help. It is tough to compare a middle infielder to a first baseman.

The terror thing turns out it was for real not a threat. Get used to long lines.

Anonymous said...

Jeez, this is a heck of a lineup.

1. Reyes, SS
2. Utley, 2B
3. Cabrera, LF
4. Howard, 1B
5. Wright, 3B
6. Franceour, RF
7. Need a CF
8. McCann, C

Scott Lauber said...

Yeah, that is an amazing lineup. I wonder how many other divisions could put together an under-30 lineup that good.

How about Andruw Jones in CF? He's only 29.

Anonymous said...

Yep, Jones is the CF for an under-30 NL East Lineup. I couldn't think of anyone stellar younger than the "elder of the lineup" Utley.

It's really hard to believe that Jones isn't 30 yet... I was thinking about that earlier this year. I still remember him at 19 in that World Series against the "suddenly good again" Yankees.

Anonymous said...

Jones is a great player, still putting up big numbers. Problem is his OBP and Slug% is way down. He was even put on waivers. No big deal they were just testing the waters but he has sat several games this year. And is it my imagination but is he looking fat or what? He looks like a bloated tick. Still runs well but he looks more like a Sumo wrestler these days. Hey I would take him but maybe there are problems in the clubhouse?

Anonymous said...

I like Jones as well. But his slug%, OBP%, and avg. is way down. And he has been sitting alot lately. He was also put on waivers just to test the waters. Is it me or does he look like a bloated tick?