Monday, December 04, 2006

Dec. 4 -- MORE FROM THE MEETINGS

Pat Gillick is scheduled to speak with the Phillies reporters in about 30 minutes, so I'll make this quick.

* Rumblings around the lobby are that RHP Joe Borowski (right) is nearing a one-year deal with the Indians, pending a physical. As the Phillies can attest, that's no slam dunk. So, don't pencil him in as Cleveland's closer just yet. BTW, a writer who covers the Marlins told me Borowski was given an exit physical after the season and nothing alarming was detected in his shoulder. Hmm?

* I'm hearing that 41-year-old C Benito Santiago wants to keep playing, and a return to the Phillies may not be out of the question. Could he be someone to help mentor rookie C Carlos Ruiz and work with the Phils' young pitchers? I'll try to find out.

* More and more, it's sounding like San Francisco or nowhere for Barry Bonds. That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask all of you: If you were a GM out there, would you sign Bonds and the distractions that he brings as he chases Hank Aaron and refutes steroid allegations?

More in a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No way would I sing Bonds. It would be more about him then the team and I believe it would be a huge distraction with the home runs and steriods. Also, I have never liked him, which may play a bit into me not wanting to sign him if I was a GM.