Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Dec. 6 -- THOUGHTS ON VICTORINO

Got an e-mail today from a Phillies fan who wants to know if Shane Victorino (left) will hold up as an everyday outfielder, considering his slight build (5-9, 180). Well, manager Charlie Manuel addressed that issue this morning.

"I don't know about [Victorino playing] 162 [games] because I think the way he plays, he plays a lot like [Chase] Utley. Mentally and physically, he really goes all-out in a game, and I think that's one of the biggest questions I asked myself, if he can play 162 games. I think, right now, you'd probably look at him playing 135, 140."

That's why the Phils are pursuing another outfielder. A combination of Jeff Conine and someone like Ryan Church could help spell Victorino now and then. It's also why the Phils insist on getting an outfielder in return if they trade Aaron Rowand. And, the more I look at this free-agent market for relievers, the more I think the Phillies will have to make a deal to satisfy their bullpen needs.

No comments: