Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Dec. 6 -- WHAT'S UP, CHUCK?

On my way back to the hotel lobby. Someone to keep an eye on today, I think, is free-agent RHP Octavio Dotel. The Phillies are interested in bringing him in as a setup man.

For now, though, here are some highlights from Phils manager Charlie Manuel's mid-morning press conference. The full transcript should be available online tonight, and I'll try to post as much of it as I can.

* According to Manuel, the Phils' No. 1 priority is replenishing the bullpen. He thinks they need two relievers and doesn't see either coming from inside the organization.

* On RHP Ryan Madson: "I said going into spring training last year I wanted to give him a role and keep him there, and I didn't want to bounce him around. I keep hearing people say this guy belongs in the bullpen. Well, I've kept him in the bullpen, and I like him. From the time I've been here, it's been kind of tough for him. He's inconsistent. I think he has the talent and ability to do it. I think it's just a matter of more preparation, more study and stuff like that, getting it done.

* On the many available free-agent relievers who have signed elsewhere: "I don't think we misread the market. I think we had a number in mind for those guys, what we could spend or basically what we wanted to spend on them. It wasn't like we were trying to get them cheap or nothing. But when somebody gets a tremendous contract, it seems like that jumps everybody else up. That's kind of what happened."

* On LF Pat Burrell: "I think, two years ago, he had a very solid year for us because he did better with guys in scoring position and in the clutch. But I look at him, and what's wrong with somebody being a .270 or .280 guy with 35 homers and 120 RBIs. That's a pretty good player. That's more than an average major league player. ... Any time you take three strikes, or take a third strike, I want Pat swinging the bat. He takes a lot of called strike threes, and that shows that the ball gets up on him quick. Those are things he can definitely improve on."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scott just saw on ESPN that the Phillies have traded for Freddy Garcia. After all the talk about Rowand and the White Six waiting for big names to be signed are you surprised that they only had to give up Floyd and the minor-leaguer for this deal.