Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Jan. 16 -- PAT THE BAT SPEAKS

Apparently, Pat Burrell couldn't make it here this week for the Phillies' annual promotional tour. But he did take time today to chat with fans at the team's Web site. Some highlights:

On the health of his gimpy foot, which often leads to him being lifted late in games for a defensive replacement: "I consider it a non-issue. There are some days I run real good and some days I can't, but that's the wear and tear of the season. I was never a fast runner, so it's unfortunate that the foot thing keeps coming up."

On the possibility of a 40-homer season: "I think I'm capable of it. I'd like to finish the games and get more at-bats. I fall about 130 at-bats behind everybody else. I think 40 would be attainable if I completed every game and get the at-bats I used to get. But Charlie [Manuel] is the manager and he does what's best for the club. Not that I disagree him, but I'm a competitor. I want to play."


On his impending free agency after 2008: "I'd love to sign back with the Phillies. Whether or not it works out, I've been very happy with the time I've had here. Like I said, though, I'd love to re-sign."

On the secret to his second-half success last year: "I got a lot more hits."

No idea if this dude, obviously a Burrell fan (or his agent?), participated in the chat.



*
Jon Lieber has agreed to a one-year, $3.5 million contract with the Cubs, who will give him an opportunity to earn a spot in the starting rotation. The contract includes performance bonuses based on games started and innings pitched. There's some symmetry here. Lieber didn't start his career with the Cubs, but he did have his best season with them. In 2001, he went 20-6 with a 3.80 ERA and made the NL All-Star team.

At times last season, I wondered about Lieber's desire to keep pitching. But, back in November, his agent, Rex Gary, told me Lieber was disappointed with the way he finished the season and wanted to prove he could still be a reliable starter. Now, with the Cubs, he'll have his chance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott, I don't know if you saw the user ID's, but I posted as bertmurr, and asked Pat a ton of questions. I asked about his foot, about his free-agency year, and about what he did in July and August when Chase was out to perform at such a level.

Pat seems pretty focused, and it seemed like he had some fun when asked what his second position would be (pitcher). I asked what his signature pitch would be, and the question went unanswered.

I'd say screwball.

geoff mosher said...

Funniest Youtube I've seen in quite a while.

I half-expected that guy to tear off his face to reveal Kevin Roberts underneath.

Anonymous said...

haha, bringing my youtube links back up.

and geoff, i respect your eagles writing. but whats so funny about that video? its dead on.

geoff mosher said...

Jamie,

I wasn't cracking on the validity of the information and stats. It was well done.

I just got a good laugh at the production, facial expressions and overall tone with which the producer took.

Like Scott wrote, I'm not sure Burrell's agent could have done a better job of defending his client.