Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Jan. 29 -- ROLLINS: HOWARD MUST GET DEFENSIVE

Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Howard are teammates, but they're also friends. Good friends. In 2005, as Howard slugged his way to the NL Rookie of the Year, he lived with Rollins in South Jersey. Trust me, these guys are close.

But, before he was named Pro Athlete of the Year by the Philadelphia Sports Writers Association last night in Cherry Hill, Rollins had some strong words for Howard, who wants to be paid like one of the top players in baseball. There's no denying Howard's prodigious power (nobody has hit more home runs or collected more RBIs in the past two years), but Rollins said Howard can be a better defensive player if he's willing to work hard enough to improve. Howard committed 12 errors last year, second-most among first basemen behind only Prince Fielder.

"The man has big hands, so he can catch anything over there," Rollins said of Howard. "It's just about him going over there and putting in the effort he does offensively into his defense, and he'll be a complete player. It's kind of funny saying Ryan Howard [isn't] a complete player with what he does offensively. But baseball has two sides, and everyone knows that."

Not sure about you, but I think Howard needs to take Rollins' words to heart. If he wants to make an eight-figure salary, or earn a long-term contract, he must become a better all-around player.

Thoughts?

*
Wes Helms and Greg Dobbs weighed in last night on the impending signing of Pedro Feliz. Helms, most likely, will be traded during spring training. Dobbs will become the Phillies' primary left-handed pinch-hitter, a role in which he exceled last season by batting .292 (14-for-48) with two home runs and 18 RBIs.


Helms: "I just heard about it. I haven't even talked to the Phillies yet. I'm still positive. I know what I can do. As far as playing third base goes, I have no clue what's going to happen."

Dobbs: "I don't know what their plans are. For me, personally, is it a bit disappointing? Yeah. But I still feel I'm capable of doing a good job at third base."

As usual, love your comments in the previous posts about Feliz. Please keep 'em coming.

2 comments:

Gkit said...

Considering the options , I like the move mainly because of the defense. It was crazy to have to burn 3 players just to cover 1 position during a game. Plus in the Phillie lineup and this park those numbers have to improve.

Anonymous said...

if howard ever expects to be better than pujols(self proclaimed already) that he HAS to devote a lot of time to the defensive aspect.