Monday, May 12, 2008

May 12 -- FOUR QUESTIONS

SAN FRANCISCO -- So, I'll be traveling for most of the day (San Fran to Philly, via Chicago), and thus, away from my laptop, which will be thankful for the rest. That said, I'll pose four questions for y'all to chew on today. Looking forward to lots of responses when I get home.

1. I asked this yesterday, before J.C. Romero uncharacteristically allowed a home run and lost a lead and the Phillies' right-handed hitters came up small against a lefty in a road-trip-ending loss to the Giants, but it's worth asking again: What did you learn from the Phillies' 3-4 western swing?

2. Last week, I wrote about the possibility of in-season contract negotiations with free-agent-to-be closer Brad Lidge, who told me he's happy in Philly. Team officials said that any dealings with Lidge and/or Pat Burrell will be "handled internally." GM Pat Gillick, who is so old-school that he thinks MySpace is the area around his desk (just kidding, Pat), typically doesn't like to conduct negotiations during the season, but with Gillick stepping down after the season, should the Phils open talks with Lidge and/or Burrell? Keeping in mind that Ryan Howard likely will get another raise in 2009 and Cole Hamels will be arbitration-eligible, which player(s) should be the Phils' priority?

3. Also asked this question last week, but I'll repeat it for those who haven't yet weighed in: Who has been the bigger early-season disappointment: Howard (.171 average) or Brett Myers (5.33 ERA)?

4. The Florida Marlins can't possibly be for real, can they?

OK, discuss. Talk to you from home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1.) I think that the Phils pitching particularly starting pitching not being able to handle the weak Giants offense could be a telling sign of things to come.

2.) You've got to pick your battles when you're the Phils management. We know they aren't going to shell out big bucks to keep everyone and go for the World Series like they should. I think that you let Lidge walk, he's been great this year so far but he'll be 32 next year and isn't worth a long commitment. Myers can be moved back to closer, where he wants to be, and hopefully by the start of next year the Phils young talent will be ready. Moyer is at the end of his career and I don't expect him back next year. The rotation could looks like Hamels, *free agent*, Carrasco, Eaton, Kendrick. The free agent is the key as would be Outman, Savery, or another top prospect being able to take over for Kendrick/Eaton.

3.) Howard. I'm not surprised to see Myers struggle to get back to being a starter. He hasn't looked good as a starter since the end of '06! Howard has just been brutal, and his patience at the plate is awful. Not that we couldn't see this coming either after his 199 Ks last year. But a .171 avg. is just that much worse than a pitcher throwing 5.33

4.) NO!

Anonymous said...

1) Chase isn't going to stay hot throughout the entire year. Other people need to step up.

2)I'm really having a hard time with this question. Lidge has been lights out this year and I think signing him to a 3 year deal would be good. I also feel the same with Burrell. We need someone to protect Chase and Ryan. With that said, pitching wins you games. We need to make Cole happy or lock him up. And the more I think about it, the more I say that when Howard's contract comes to an end just let him walk, unless he shows signifcant improvement from these past few years. Move Chase to first, bring Cardenas up at second. However, I do like the post above. If our young pitching in the minors is ready, bring up Carrasco and another and move Myers back to the pen. So with all that said, I still really don't know who is the top priority. Probably Cole.

3) Gotta be Howard. After his payday and no MVP banquets, I thought for sure he would be back. I hope that Myers is just adjusting to the starting role again.

4) We will find out in the next week or two, as I believe they play us, Braves, and Mets.

As always, nice job Scott.

Anonymous said...

1) Phillies still cannot hit left handers ... I thought they should have signed Mench who tees off on the southpaws. This would be the perfect week to sit Howard a couple of games!

2) Phils alway do this. they traded for Rowand, yet failed to lock him up when they could have had him cheap. Instead they let him walk away. I say sign him to a 3-4 year deal now! Hamels is the next priority because he is an Ace, and they don't grow on trees or come too cheaply.

3) Player Devil's advocate last week and said Myers.

4) Florida is one of those teams that plays well the first two months and then melts when the summer haze arrive. The will finish fourth!