Friday, May 30, 2008

May 30 -- FLASH: THE NEXT GENERATION

So, a little over a year ago, I approached Tom "Flash" Gordon before a Phillies-Mets game at Shea Stadium to discuss a story I was writing about the dwindling number of African-American players in baseball. It's a subject that's of great concern to Flash, who has witnessed the precipitous decline throughout his 20-year major-league career.

That's when he told me about his son, Devaris.

When Devaris was 6 years old, his mother (and Gordon's high-school sweetheart), Devona Strange, was murdered by an ex-boyfriend in their hometown of Avon Park, Fla. Gordon hired a lawyer, gained legal custody of Devaris, and with help from his mother, raised him. But even though Devaris spent part of his summers in major-league clubhouses and got know people like Roberto Alomar and Derek Jeter, he never wanted to play baseball. He thought the game was too slow, too boring, and opted instead for basketball. Many of Devaris' friends felt the same way.

But something changed in 2005. Devaris, realizing that few 5-foot-11 kids make it to the NBA, decided to try playing baseball during his senior year of high school. And, wouldn't you know it, he was a natural, even getting a chance to play last season at Southeastern University, a Christian college in Lakeland, Fla. Flash beamed as he told me about how well Devaris ran, hit and made the long throw from shortstop. He couldn't have been more proud.

Over the past year, Flash has volunteered periodic updates on Devaris, and during one of the first days of spring training, he told me about phone calls he'd been getting from major-league scouting directors. Devaris is eligible for the June draft, and Flash was sure he'd be an early-round pick. There was only one problem: He had transferred to Seminole Community College and was academically ineligible to play this season.

But, thanks to his dad's connections, Devaris has been getting private tryouts for several teams. He worked out for the Phillies in February, and several team officials said they were impressed with his ability, especially considering he only started playing baseball a few years ago. Just this week, one talent evaluator for a National League team told me Devaris most likely will be selected within the first 10 rounds of next week's draft.

So, before Wednesday night's game, I talked to Flash at length about Devaris, who, it should be noted, looks exactly like his father circa-1989. And yesterday, Devaris was willing to talk about his mother's death and his circuitous route to baseball, all of which you can read about by clicking here.

A few outtakes from the story that ran today in The Paper:

Devaris: "I had nothing against baseball. I just didn't see it as basketball. I just had a love for basketball. I just didn't see myself playing baseball. But after I started playing baseball, I was like, 'Hey, I'm pretty good at this.' It wasn't like I was going to quit basketball. I was like, 'OK, that's a fair trade.' My dad didn't push it on me or anything. There were scouts that came to the games for me when I was a freshman. That never happens at a four-year school. I really want this to happen. I can't just let it slip by. "

Gordon: "It's a challenge to him to see how far he can go in this game, how good he can really be. It's not so much, 'I've got to be like my daddy.' He doesn't want to pitch. He can pitch. But he wants to try to play a position. From what I've seen, if he continues to work like I see him working now, the sky is the limit. Derek Jeter has told me he's got some really good hands. Jimmy Rollins has been on the field with him and said to me, 'Flash, your boy's got an arm. This boy's going to be able to do some wonderful things in the game.'

"I talk to him about his mom all the time. We were friends. I loved her. She loved me. Our families were from the same country hometown. It doesn't just devastate you. It takes the air out of everything that moves in a small town like that. My son was so young. He knew what was taking place, but still, he didn't understand. I think he still has a tough time understanding. At times, he still looks for a place of refuge, where he can think and talk. I'm certain he knows his mother's looking down. He's trying a find a way to be respectful and have a lot of her thoughts inside of him. I think he dealt with that everyday, and he still is. Until he starts to open up and understand that he's a representative of his mom, then his mom's spirit can live on."

Southeastern coach Jason Beck: "I'd love to see it happen next week. I think the kid needs a chance. He's got a great story, and he's one of the most beloved kids I've ever coached. Some kids, they don't respect the game, they don't respect authority. He truly loves the game. I know he'll get drafted. He's such a good kid. I'd love to tell these teams, this is a kid you want to draft. Unless you knew his dad was Tom Gordon, you'd never guess. He doesn't play on that. Devaris works so hard. I see other kids who take advantage. He might be an 8-player compared to a 9-player, but I'd take him because the kid is a 10-person. My wife was in love with him. He was a charismatic, bright kid. This kid is the all-around package.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Hope the kid gets his shot, looks like he will.

Anonymous said...

Great story, Scott!