Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Sept. 3 -- BREAKING: HAMELS TO START SUNDAY (UPDATED)

BY SCOTT LAUBER

WASHINGTON -- Cole Hamels will start Sunday night against the Mets -- and Johan Santana.

More in a bit.


(Updated, 5:23 p.m.): Here's what Hamels said moments ago ... "I understood the situation. I think this is the time that really matters. I know [pitching every] five days is what I just did five days ago. That's what I've been able to do all year, and that's what I'll do this time. The main guy, when it's the playoffs or the division championship or the big division rivalry, that's what I want to be. It's time to step up to the plate, and I know that I'm ready for it."

Upon hearing that he actually has pitched better this season when he has four days between starts (8-2, 2.47 ERA) than five (4-5, 4.14), Hamels wasn't surprised: "Mentally, your body is ready. When you get that extra day, sometimes you feel off."

This from pitching coach Rich Dubee: "All year, we were pretty much protecting him. This is September. We've got what, 24 games? How long can he go? We're hoping nine innings."

By the way, Dubee said Kyle Kendrick, who would've started Sunday, will be available out of the bullpen this weekend. A decision on whether Kendrick will make his next start hasn't been made.

Much more in tomorrow's News Journal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd throw Hamels until his arm fell off. It's September and he's 24.