Monday, January 29, 2007

Jan. 29 -- WRIGHT: PHILS GOT IT WRONG

It appears the long-dormant Phillies-Mets rivalry is heating up, thanks to Jimmy Rollins.

Mets third baseman David Wright, one of the classiest guys in baseball, gave a radio interview on WFAN in New York today and addressed J-Roll's comments from last week that the Phillies, not the division-champion Mets, are "the team to beat" in the NL East.

"I was reading an article, [and] according to Jimmy Rollins, nobody's got a chance except the Phillies," Wright said. "It's bulletin board material. Everybody in our clubhouse shies away from things like that, especially with us winning the division in the fashion that we did last year. He's confident. I guess that's a good thing for them, but when we read that, it irks you a little bit and makes you want to go out and beat them that much worse."

Later in the interview with Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts, Wright was asked how much he hates the Yankees.

"I think I dislike the Braves and the Phillies more than I dislike the Yankees," Wright said. "Don't get me wrong, I love the Subway Series, I love the passion that there is, but when you play a team 19 times a year, there becomes a true rivalry. There's more of a true dislike inside of our division than cross-town against the Yankees."

Mark your calendar: The Phillies will be at Shea Stadium on April 9 when the Mets are slated to celebrate their 2006 NL East championship. They should ask Jimmy Rollins to say a few words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phillies should trade Rollins for Wright!

Anonymous said...

Why anyone would want to remain anonymous in the thinking that Wright for Rollins is a great deal is beyond me. Unfortunately, I don't think Minaya is that stupid, but heres wishing he is no matter how much I like Jimmy.

From what I'm reading, SD GM Towers is quoted as saying there's talk that puts Rowand on the Pads for Scott Linebrink, the premier set-up man for SD last year. If you look at his stats as a set-up man vs. other set-ups around the league, he was one of the premier league arms as well.

Whether or not one is a fan of that deal, it's good to see the phils focusing on what is clearly their deepest priority. It would be sad to see Rowand go, and nail-biting to see Victorino as a full time CF, but taking the pressure off Madson and Geary and Alfonseca(ugh) cannot hurt any of the Phils starters.
I like it, and hope they act. If not on this deal, then something very similar.

Pitchers and Catchers very soon. Thank God.