Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Jan. 9 -- OOPS ... PHILS SIGN GARCIA

My apologies to Paul W. In the comments section of an earlier post, he asked if I'd heard anything about the Phils signing veteran OF Karim Garcia to a minor-league contract. I said I hadn't, but that Todd Hollandsworth was a possibility, although he's looking for a better deal.

Well, the Phils have agreed to a one-year, minor-league deal with Garcia, pending a physical.

My bad -- and Paul, keep those scoops coming.

Anyway, don't expect huge things from Garcia. If anything, he'll be tbe left-handed pinch-hitter the Phillies have lacked since November when David Dellucci signed with Cleveland. But the Phillies can still find someone better than Garcia, or he could get beaten out in spring training by Randall Simon.

You may remember Garcia from the 2003 ALCS when, as a backup outfielder with the Yankees, he infamously aided reliever Jeff Nelson in a fight with a Fenway Park groundskeeper. That prompted Pedro Martinez to utter the now-famous line, "Who's Karim Garcia?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how much of a scoop Karim Garcia is. I'm a bit of a baseball nerd, clouding the home computer with rumor mills and stat sites. Wife hates it.

I like this guy over Hollandsworth though, but I don't see him making the team over Bourn, who has a little bit more to offer.

And to me, Hollandsworth is to Conine what Karim Garcia is to Randall Simon.

Anonymous said...

Paul: Bourn most likely will start the season in triple-A, and that's probably where he should be. Don't forget he played at that level for only about a month in '06. Regardless of where he starts, I'm sure he'll end up in Philly as a pinch-runner, late-game defensive replacement in the outfield, and depending on how well he plays, maybe more.

There's no shame in cluttering the computer with rumor mills (especially if your home page is delawareonline.com), but you never want to get yourself in trouble with the wife!