Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Pros and cons on McGwire

I don't want to beat this to death, but the vote for the Hall of Fame on McGwire and in the future, other suspected steroid users, isn't a cut-and-dried issue. For one, baseball didn't test for steroids during the 1990s. Secondly, baseball and pretty much everyone else, seemed to look the other way even though everyone had an idea it was going on. And thirdly, we were all captivated by that home run chase in 1998 when McGwire and Sammy Sosa passed Roger Maris' record.

Anyway, I thought I would present differing opinions on how two national writers _
Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
and
Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times
_ felt about the issue. They both make compelling arguments. As for me, I'm sticking with my stance that McGwire doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

No comments: