Thursday, February 15, 2007

Feb. 15 -- AT SPRING TRAINING ... FINALLY

After two cancelled flights, a two-hour delay on a third and nearly six hours on a plane last night, I'm finally in Clearwater. In the words of News Journal sports editor Jason Levine, I could've hitched my way down here and arrived sooner. I'll spare the gory details of my trip, except to say two things:

a) It's never a good sign when the flight attendants encourage passengers to join their pool to guess the take-off time. That's what happened last night, either during the hour that we were parked at the departure gate in Philadelphia, or during the hour that we taxied on the runway (I thought we were halfway to Maryland), or during the half-hour when the plane was being de-iced. By the way, the winner of the pool, seated in 19C, I think, had 7:58 p.m. He was the closest, even though it was after 8:30 before we were airborne.

b) The lady seated to my left read about 33 chapters of her murder mystery novel. I'm not sure how many pages that was, but the book was pretty thick.

Anyway, now that I'm here, at Bright House Networks Field (above), expect at least two stories a day on the Phillies -- and several daily blog updates. That should help warm you up until the weather warms back home. And, if it makes you feel better as you're shoveling snow and scraping ice off your windshield, know that the temps in Florida aren't exactly toasty. It was barely 50 degrees this morning, and the overnight low tomorrow is supposed to be about 32.

No comments: