Thursday, February 22, 2007

Feb. 22 -- MANNY BEING MANNY

Good morning, all.

The clubhouse closed to reporters about a half hour earlier than usual this morning because the Phillies are having a meeting. The coaching staff is stressing fundamentals more than ever, so I'm sure that's what it's about. They're having a similar meeting tomorrow, too.

Anyway, the extra idle time has given me a chance to read some out-of-town news. According to a report in the Boston Globe, several Philadelphia-area radio stations are airing commercials that Manny Ramirez will be appearing Saturday with Reggie Jackson at a classic car auction in Atlantic City. If you've heard the ads, please let me know. It's significant since Manny told the Red Sox he can't report to spring training until March 1, nearly 10 days after the rest of his teammates, because of "family issues." Stay tuned. This is only going to get more interesting. Still, something tells me if Manny keeps hitting 40 homers and driving in 130 runs, the Red Sox will keep putting up with his shenanigans.

While we were allowed in the clubhouse, I spoke to Aaron Rowand, who was fired up because the local Starbucks messed up his order. Rowand asked for a Cinnamon Latte and received Cinnamon Dolce instead. "Ixnay on the dolce," Rowand cracked.

More after the workout.

3 comments:

Lake Fred said...

I'm a regular at Jason Weitzel's Beerleaguer site and today he wrote about your blog site and provided a link. All I can say is "Thank you, thank you, thank you." This blog is a Phillies fan's dream. Good photos, great inside scoop and observations. I made your site a "favorite" and will surely visit every day to get my Phillies fix satisfied. Great job!

I'd tell all my friends about your site, but I live in New Orleans and all they care about here is for the Saints, LSU and Tulane.

Anonymous said...

Get a life freddyboy. Scott's married.

Scott Lauber said...

Lake Fred: Thanks, so much, for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. I'll try to keep it updated as regularly as possible, even during my two-week break from spring training, which is coming up after this weekend.