Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Feb. 6 -- MYERS SPEAKS

One day last August, I was sitting in the press box at Wrigley Field about four hours before a Phillies-Cubs game when I saw Brett Myers running up and down the stairs in the grandstand. I remember thinking it was an encouraging sign for the Phillies that Myers, who had complained of fatigue only a few starts earlier, was feeling strong enough to challenge his body like that between starts.

This winter, his workouts have only intensified.

Myers showed up at Citizens Bank Park tonight to discuss his new three-year, $25.75 million contract, but at first glance, you never would've recognized him. While his wallet is fatter, Myers has slimmed down to a svelte 218, about 30 pounds lighter than his season-ending weight. Considering I've been trying (rather unsuccessfully) to shed some fat, I wanted to know Myers' secret.

"It just kind of happened, really," he said. "It wasn't like a drastic change right off the bat. I didn't start running until a month and a half ago. It was more about trying to find the right diet that works with my body, trying not to let my wife suck me in with nachos and ice cream. That, and going to the gym everyday."

Myers talked about other things, too. Some, like his candid comments about that June 23 night in Boston when he was arrested on charges of domestic abuse (the case was dismissed in October), you can read about in Wednesday's News Journal and at www.delawareonline.com.

But here are some other Myers musings that didn't make the cut:

How good can this starting rotation be?
It's going to be hard keeping up with Cole [Hamels] this year. He's the young guy coming up. When I came up, I didn't really have anybody to talk to until we got Kevin Millwood, and he taught me as much as he could before he left. Since then, I feel like I need to take that role for Cole, and hopefully Freddy [Garcia] will. We're not left-handed. Maybe Jamie Moyer will play a bigger factor for Hamels.

How much did it mean when the fans cheered you in your first home start after the arrest?
Just you asking me about it is giving me goose bumps. I really appreciated that. Hopefully the support can keep coming in because this team really needs it. I grew a lot of respect for the fans after that day. I like pitching here. I relate the fans to my dad when I was a kid. If I didn't play well, he was all over me. When the fans boo you, we already know we're not playing up to our capabilities. You kind of need that tough love sometimes.

How influential was your dad on the contract negotiations?
He was like my second agent. He might have gotten more stressed out than I did. We're relieved to have it over with and know that I'm going to be here for the next three years. The arbitration process is not fun. I didn't want to take a chance at scarring any relationship I have with the Phillies by sitting down at a table and forcing them to list reasons why they didn't want to pay me what I wanted. Both sides said we don't want it to come to that.

How much would it mean to be the Opening Day starter?
There's so much emphasis on number one and all it really means is that first game. My philosophy is, whoever starts that day is the ace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He beats his wife - leave the comments. You work for a paper. how would you like to be censored?

Anonymous said...

Im willing to give him a second chance, but spousal abuse is pretty serious. If he can win 20 games this year, and stay healthy, then all is most definately fogrgiven. I believe he has ace stuff, but won't get that credit with Garcia and Cole. Dropping the weight is a plus, and it can't hurt his potential. Off the field issues aside, he could be an all-star. Here's hoping he gets there, and makes nice with the wife.

I'd put the starting 5 or 6 right up there with the PAds and LA as one of the best rotations in the NL right now.


It's time to get excited about the season.