Monday, November 26, 2007

Nov. 26 -- TOASTING THE MVP

Everyone have a nice Thanksgiving weekend? I did. Got together with family in NJ. Ate lots of this. And this. And this. Had some of this for dessert. A few days later (after finally digesting), watched my alma mater, Boston University, beat Cornell in a hockey game at sold-out Madison Square Garden. Family, friends, food and a BU win. That's my idea of a perfect weekend.

Jimmy Rollins had a nice weekend, too.

On Thanksgiving, he hung out with family and played with his little cousins in the Bay Area. On Saturday, his parents hosted a barbecue that was attended by a surprise guest -- Rollins' childhood idol, Rickey Henderson. And yesterday, he returned to his Swedesboro, N.J., home for the first time since being crowned NL MVP.

Rollins is one of the most personable and refreshingly engaging athletes I've ever covered. A few hours ago, he talked (as only he can) about being MVP. Around here, he's being honored wherever he goes. Earlier today, he attended a ceremony at City Hall, met with Mayor Street, had a computer lab named for him at Olney West High in Philly and was the guest of honor at a private reception thrown by the Phillies at the Bank. Like Ryan Howard last year, Rollins will be treated like a rock star at banquets and other appearances over the next two months.

But in his hometown of Alameda, Calif., he's still just Jimmy Rollins. To wit: After being named MVP last Tuesday, he tried calling his mom, but her phone went straight to voice mail. Then, he called his dad. "He said, 'What's up, Jim-Bob?' I said I won, and he was like, 'Good job, all right, bye.'" Rollins recalled. "I was on the phone for, like, seven seconds. I expected him to ask questions, but he had to go. I call him on the biggest day of my career, and he had to go." (Rollins' father explained he was so overwhelmed with joy that he was nearly speechless, and he cut short the conversation to break the news to Rollins' mother.)

Rollins told another amusing story about Henderson showing up at the barbecue. "I see a truck go by, and then there's a nice SL500 Benz. I couldn't really see inside. I'm thinking, 'Damn, who do I know that's got a Benz like that? That's a nice Benz.' Then, I realized it was him. He was cool. Took pictures with everybody. Said hello. Met the family. I became secondary after that. It was like, 'That's the original. Jimmy you're good, but that's Rickey Henderson.' He stayed there the whole time. It was great to be hanging out with my favorite player and a former MVP player from Oakland. It was a good treat."

No comments: