Thursday, November 08, 2007

Nov. 8 -- MYERS SPEAKS

Don't mean to distract you from weighing in on the Brad Lidge trade (love all of your thoughtful comments so far, by the way), but I wanted to pass along a few thoughts from Brett Myers about moving back to the rotation.

Spoiler alert: He's a little disappointed.

"I’m upset," Myers said ,"not with the Phillies because I understand the situation. I’m upset because I think I found myself and my role this year as a closer. I know because I‘ve been told that I'm best suited to be a closer.

"I was bred, from the time I was born to win for the team. I understand what’s going on and I understand that for this team me going back to being a starter is the move to make. ... There are positives in this. I think I’ve proven myself as a closer and as a starter. I can be 'Slash,' the next Kordell Stewart. If the time comes and I’m on the market as a free agent, instead of two teams needing a starter and two needing a closer, I can make myself available as both to 30 teams. This doesn’t mean I’m unhappy in Philly. I love the team and I love the fans, but from a personal standpoint, this certainly can help me in the long run.

(Note: Myers agreed to a three-year, $25.75 million contract extension in February and can't become a free agent until after the 2009 season. He'll make $8.5 million in 2008 and $12 million in 2009).

"I definitely like closing more. I like having the ball in my hands four of five days. The only thing I don’t like in starting is I may go nuts those four days in between getting the ball."

(Update, Nov. 9, 10:30 a.m.)

Here's more from Lidge, who spoke to reporters via a conference call yesterday. Interesting that he thinks his turnaround in 2007 began at Citizens Bank Park.

*
Talked on Thursday to a spokesman for Dan Lozano, J.C. Romero's agent, who was unable to confirm that a multiyear contract for the lefty reliever is imminent. But I think something will get done within the next few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about instead of going nuts he reads the scouting report for the team he'll face in four days? Brett can be an All-Star 15-18 game winner with his stuff, but like Yogi said: "90 % of the game is half mental."

My plea to Myers: Don't think, just pitch. You've got great stuff, keep your eye on the ball.

PS You weren't that good of a closer, you were just better than Alfonseca and Gordon.