Thursday, May 07, 2009

May 7 -- MANUEL "SAD" FOR MANNY

BY SCOTT LAUBER

NEW YORK -- Charlie Manuel was Manny Ramirez's hitting coach for six seasons and his manager in 2000 with the Indians. He thinks Ramirez is one of the greatest hitters in baseball history. So, he wasn't sure how to react Wednesday upon hearing the news today that Ramirez failed a drug test and received a 50-game suspension from Major League Baseball.

"When he was young, I definitely don't think he was on steroids," Manuel said. "But there again, I don't know. I'm kind of sad for him. He's a good player. When I had him as a player, I used to work with him. I know how good he was. I know his talent. I know he's a good player."

But Manuel also knows that players have to be responsible for what they put in their body.

"Major League Baseball, in those [spring-training] meetings that we have, I think they're pretty specific," he said. "I think if you don't know the rules, you better have somebody explain them to you. The material they send out and the meetings they have, they warn you and tell you what you can do and what you can't do. You're supposed to follow those rules."

Ramirez will be suspended for all seven games between the Phillies and Dodgers, including next week's three-game series at Citizens Bank Park.


More on Manny in tomorrow's News Journal.

2 comments:

BOBo said...

Manny Ramirez is a SCUM BAG. The Proof Of that is in his hair, If he played Bass on a Bob Marley tribute band, his hair might be cool. But, as a Baseball Player, his hair is an Objectionable problem. How can one chase a ball with dreadlocks hanging in their face? Now that we know Manny is a cheater, Maybe our thought will change about him.
I never like Manny no matter how good he was as a batter,
I hope he rots in oblivion.
GET A HAIRCUT, STOP USING DRUGS, AND GET A CLUE!

hymovitz said...

slauber: So do tell. You knew D. Wright in AA ball. You've had 2 visits with him in the past week. Has the big city, the success, the idol worship gone to his head? Or is he the sme aw shucks kind of guy you knew in Bingo?