Saturday, May 09, 2009

May 9 -- CASE CLOSED

BY SCOTT LAUBER

Brad Lidge hasn't pitched in a save situation since April 25, which is a good thing because it has allowed him to fix his flawed mechanics and sharpen his command without having to worry about blowing a lead. But it's also a bad thing because, without a game on the line, he has lacked his usual focus.

That's how Lidge explained what happened last night.

In the ninth inning, he gave up a leadoff walk and a double before Casey Kotchman belted a three-run homer to slice a 10-3 lead to 10-6. But he retired the next three batters, two by strikeout.

"I went in and threw nine fastballs, and on the ninth one, [Kotchman] hit it out," Lidge said earlier today. "I didn't have my location, but sometimes, when you have a big lead, you think, 'Just throw fastballs.' With me, I get a lot more strikes with my slider. So, after that, we started throwing sliders and the inning went well."

But it hasn't been one isolated game, either. Lidge already has allowed 11 runs in only 12 appearances (11-2/3 innings) for an 8.49 ERA. He yielded only 15 runs all of last season and didn't give up his 11th run until July 25. He also has surrendered five homers after allowing only two a year ago when he finished 48-for-48 in save opportunities, including the postseason.

The good news: Lidge said his balky right knee is feeling fine after resting it for six days late last month. He believes his slider is sharp, and when his fastball command improves, he said he will be at full strength.

Meanwhile, he will try to trick his mind into thinking every situation is a save situation.

"Being two weeks since my last save opportunity, I've almost got to tell myself, 'It's a one-run lead. Pitch like it,'" Lidge said. "Obviously, I haven't thrown the ball well. It's embarrassing, to be honest, to give up this many home runs. That being said, I feel fine. I'm encouraged.

"The good thing is that I've been able to work on what I've needed to work on since I've hurt my knee, and I've had the luxury of pitching in some games where I haven't had ties or one-run leads. So, that's what I'm taking out of it. I feel pretty good with where I am right now."

No comments: