Wednesday, March 21, 2007

March 21 -- BREAKING NEWS: LIEBER TO BULLPEN

To his considerable chagrin, Jon Lieber is headed to the Phillies' bullpen, effective immediately.

That was the announcement today from manager Charlie Manuel. With the Phillies unable to find what they consider to be an equitable trade offer, and with Opening Day approaching in less than two weeks, Lieber will move to the bullpen and prepare to open a season as a reliever for the first time since 1996.

He's not happy about it.

"I'm disappointed," Lieber said. "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. I'm going to do it for these guys in here, but I think I can still start. It sucks. I signed here to be a starter."

Of the Phillies' inability to trade him, Lieber said, "It's either 29 teams really don't like me, or they're asking too much. I still think I can throw 200 innings. I still think I can win a lot of games for this club. If somebody somewhere doesn't think I can, I wish they'd tell me and let's move on."

Read more about Lieber, including comments from Manuel, in tomorrow's News Journal and online at www.delawareonline.com.

No comments: