Monday, March 05, 2007

March 5 -- DEAR DIARY ...

Camden native and Caesar-Rodney High product Ian Snell (left) is keeping a spring-training journal for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Snell, whose 14 wins for the Pirates last season were the most by a Delaware-born pitcher in 38 years, shares his thoughts each week with Rob Biertempfel, a writer for the newspaper. Click here for Snell's most recent entry, which includes his thoughts on being a role model in Delaware and winning the John J. Brady Athlete of the Year award from the Delaware Sportswriters and Broadcasters Association in January. Here's a snippet from the journal:

My folks still call me every week, especially during the season. Mom tells me, "You need to be an example," because in Delaware, where I'm from, everybody looks up to me now. People there always are asking when I'm coming back home so they can see me. It's hard, because after the season all I want to do is relax, go fishing and do things I like to do.

At the end of this year, I think I might go up and say hi to the kids at the schools. I visited my old elementary school two years ago and hung out with some kids and my teachers. But my high school changed. You can't even get through the front door because of the security. There's no crime in Delaware! Why do they need so much security? I talked to my old high school coach. He said to call him first before I come in the next time, so he can get me in the classroom to talk to the kids. I'm going to do that a couple times next year.


Snell is scheduled to pitch against the Phillies on Tuesday in Bradenton.

No comments: