Thursday, March 22, 2007

March 22 -- MY BAD

So, I was in the Phillies' clubhouse this morning when Aaron Rowand (left) asked Charlie Manuel who was scheduled to pitch for the Red Sox. Manuel said that knuckleballer Tim Wakefield was getting the start, followed by Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon.

"You normally hit Wakefield hard, don't you?" I asked Rowand.

"I've got good numbers against him," Rowand said.

Then, he proceeded to go 0-for-3, including the strikeout pictured above when he knocked himself over by swinging so early at a Wakefield knuckler that it hit him. Looks like I jinxed him. Sorry, Aaron. (Incidentally, Rowand is 11-for-17 with four homers and eight RBIs in his career against Wakefield).

I had absolutely nothing to do with Pat Burrell's 0-for-4, three-strikeout performance. Burrell has three hits in his last 29 at-bats, and his spring average has dropped to .189.

More tomorrow when the Phillies face the Braves in an NL East showdown at Bright House.

No comments: