Monday, December 15, 2008

Dec. 15 -- MORE FROM UTLEY

BY SCOTT LAUBER

Rather than get bogged down by the nuts and bolts of Chase Utley's lengthy rehab (you'll get that in tomorrow's News Journal, anyway), here are a few other highlights from his press conference here today.

On his infamous, expletive-laced speech at the World Series parade: "That was definitely an emotional day that we all had. That drive down Broad Street was one of the best days of my life. I imagine for a lot of Phillies fans it was the same. I could've used different words to express myself. At the time, I didn't. I would tell kids not to use that word. But if they're 29 and they win the World Series, I think they can say that. I definitely would say to all the kids out there, 'Kids, that's a bad word. Don't say it.'"

On the Phillies' decision not to re-sign Pat Burrell: "He's one of my good friends, so it's going to be a little different around the clubhouse. You cannot replace the personality that he brings to the field every day. He really is a special individual. It's going to be a little different. It's going to maybe be tough at first. He kind of took me under his wing when I first got to the big leagues and showed me the ropes. But, again, you have to understand this is business. The whole point is to continue to win."

No comments: