Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dec. 18 -- MAINE TO PHILS: ZIP IT

BY SCOTT LAUBER

It wasn't as catchy as "team to beat" or "choke artists," but pitcher John Maine jumped into the Phillies-Mets war of words yesterday when, in essence, he told Jimmy Rollins, Cole Hamels and the rest of the champs to put a sock in it.

"I don't really care, but I just don't get it," Maine told New York reporters, referring to Hamels' "choke artists" comment about the Mets on WFAN last week. "At the end of the year, they won the World Series. Congratulations. Let's focus on the things they accomplished. Don't worry about what's going on up in New York. I mean, I don't get it."

Neither do I, but you can't deny that the verbal jabs between the Phillies and Mets have made the rivalry even more entertaining.

***
Completely shameless self-promotion alert: Gary Matthews and I will be signing copies of our book, Phillies Confidential: The Untold Inside Story of the 2008 Championship Season, at 7 tonight at the Borders on Baltimore Pike in Springfield, Pa. I know it's short notice, but if you don't catch us there, we'll also be at the Sam's Club in Willow Grove, Pa. at 1 p.m. Saturday. Also, you can hear me talk about the book -- and about the Phillies' offseason moves -- with Brian Startare after the Flyers game tonight on 610 WIP.

4 comments:

TC said...

I think you get it: it is entertaining.

Also, I buy the argument in this Slate article:

http://www.slate.com/id/2202880

It is all about Phils fans turning their ire from the home team to the Mets. Phils are the defending champs, Mets aren't. Go Phils!

Anonymous said...

Rollins really didn't say anything (this year) other than when the Mets acquired santana, everyone sort of made them the favorite.

Cole's statement was provocative, but he was baited into it.

It is entertaining, but there's another underlying theme here: all of the other teams in the NL east seem to hate the Mets, and I think it has something to do with their antics (Reyes pointing, etc.)

Anonymous said...

You guys gonna have any signings here in DE, or did I miss one?

Scott Lauber said...

Paul W.: You haven't missed one. I'm still working with the publisher on getting a signing scheduled for Delaware. Since it's my (adopted) home state, it's pretty important for me to have one here, but a lot will depend on Sarge's schedule. He lives in Chicago during the offseason.

Thanks, as always, for the note, and happy holidays!