Sunday, April 12, 2009

April 12 -- HAMELS UPDATE, GAME 6 LINEUP

BY SCOTT LAUBER

DENVER -- So, there I was, standing in the Phillies' clubhouse a little while ago, when Baseball Tonight came on television. During a segment from last night's show, Peter Gammons joined the parade of people wondering if Cole Hamels is OK.

Well, I figured, why not ask him directly -- again?

Hamels had just come inside after throwing a bullpen session here. He said he feels perfectly fine, and he will throw in the 'pen again tomorrow in DC. Once again, and I can't emphasize this enough, Hamels would NOT be throwing if he was experiencing any discomfort.

But why the back-to-back bullpens between starts? Ordinarily, he would throw just one.

"That's kind of what I need, more repetition," Hamels said. "I think that's why having the extra days off helps because I can throw another bullpen session before my game and try to really get the understanding of where I'm releasing the ball. Having one back-to-back, in an area I'm familiar with, Washington, it's not bad. It's just getting out there, throwing and throwing, just getting my muscle memory back."

***
Tarp is on the field. Forecast calls for rain throughout the afternoon. Just heard someone say it feels like 37 degrees outside with the wind chill. Charlie Manuel has the same lineup as last night, when the Phillies' offense finally broke out. Rockies right-hander Aaron Cook (0-0, 23.14)starting today.

SS Jimmy Rollins (.130/0/1)
CF Shane Victorino (.250/0/1)
2B Chase Utley (.444/0/3)
1B Ryan Howard (.250/0/4)
RF Jayson Werth (.316/1/4)
LF Raul Ibanez (.250/2/4)
3B Pedro Feliz (.333/0/4)
C Chris Coste (.250/0/1)
RHP Chan Ho Park (0-0, 0.00)

No comments: