Monday, April 13, 2009

April 13 -- HARRY KALAS (1936-2009)


Bud Selig: "Major League Baseball has lost one of the great voices of our generation. Baseball announcers have a special bond with their audience, and Harry represented the best of baseball not only to the fans of the Phillies, but to fans everywhere."

Bill Giles: "Harry was a special friend of mine and my family for 44 years. Baseball broadcasters become an integral part of baseball fans' families. They are in the homes of fans every day for the entire season. No one will ever be able to match the joy Harry and Richie Ashburn brought to our fans for all those years. He had a great voice, understood and loved the game, and loved people. That's why I brought him here in 1971. My family and I and all of our fans will always have a place in our hearts for Harry."

David Montgomery: "There are no words to express the sadness that the entire Phillies organization is feeling with the news about Harry's passing. Harry was the voice of the Phillies, but he was also our heart and soul. He loved our game and called it like none other. The entire baseball world has suffered a great loss today."

Mike Schmidt: "I was saddened today to hear of the sudden passing of my longtime close friend Harry Kalas. I know I can speak for the Phillies when I say Harry Kalas was loved by everyone. All of us could relate to our daily confrontations with his smile, his charm, and his warmth. He spread his passion for people, and baseball, all over the country for almost 50 years. His voice will resonate in my mind the rest of my life. I will never be called 'Michael Jack' again without seeing his smile. I and my wife Donna pray for the entire Kalas family that they might find peace during this trying time."

John Kruk: "It's devastating. Harry Kalas IS the Phillies. The fans lost a friend and we [those who were fortunate enough to be able to spend time with him] lost more than that, we lost a family member."

Mitch Williams: "It was an honor to have Harry call ANY play I ever made. The fact that he called me Mitchy-poo on air ... I didn't want any one to know about that nickname, but somehow with Harry it was OK. He is probably one of two announcers that you didn't have to see to know who it was. He was the best!"

Danny Ozark: "I first got to know Harry when I was managing Spokane in the Pacific Coast League. He had started his career in Hawaii in the same league. He loved the game of baseball back then. When I got to Philadelphia, I learned first-hand how much he loved the Phillies and their fans. He was a great human being with a great voice. He will be sorely missed by millions of fans."

Greg Luzinski: "We came up together. In my mind he WAS the Philadelphia Phillies. I've never heard a voice like his and I never will again. He was not only a great person, but a great friend."

Bob Boone: "He was one of the all-time great voices, and to lose him like this is shocking. He has been such a class person, and has so many friends around baseball -- he just lived it."

Greg Gross: "I spent my whole baseball life listening to Harry. All the highlights. He had such a distinctive voice. He was a fan favorite and a favorite of all the players, too. He will be missed."

Andy Musser: "Harry was as good a colleague as any sportscaster could hope to have. He was easy to get along with and I certainly enjoyed my 26 years sharing the booth with Harry. When I joined the Phillies in 1976 I had been a sportscaster in Philadelphia doing Eagles and 76ers games, and although I had been a baseball fan since my youth, I had never really broadcast the game. Harry showed me the ropes like only he could. I am more than grateful and will miss him every day I am fortunate enough to remain on this earth."

Richard Ashburn on behalf of the Ashburn family: "We loved Harry in so many ways. He was like a father to me and my brother John. He was my father's best friend in life. My four sisters loved him dearly. I can honestly say he was a true friend to us, the Phillies and to the entire Delaware Valley. He will be missed but never forgotten. He kept my dad's spirit busy, I can tell you that. I want everyone to know how much time and energy he gave to the Richie Ashburn Baseball Foundation. His love for my father was endless. He made sure we got what was needed to make the foundation a success, and for that we will always be in debt to Harry. He was a gracious and kind man. He cared for all the people that were close to him and it showed. The Phillies have lost the greatest broadcaster of all time, but we will have some of the most spectacular memories to replay for years to come. Harry, we love you and all of Philadelphia loves you and always will."

Ron Reed: "He was one of my favorite people of all-time. We both loved to go to the dog track during spring training. Every day after the workout or game, we would sit by the pool and go over the track form for that night. If you didn't love Harry, something was wrong with you."

Glenn Wilson: "The greatest man I ever met, Harry Kalas. Kim and I named our youngest son after Harry Andrew Kalas Wilson. What a pleasure to have been able to be around him for four years."

Darren Daulton: "The Phillies organization took pride in making sure everyone felt like they were part of a family. All of the years I spent with Harry seemed to take it a step further. Harry was considered a teammate. Relationships and circumstances were certainly different back in the day. We ate together, drank together, went on vacations together. There is a bond and level of respect that will remain always. As our loved ones pass on, it truly amazes me the impact they have made on so many lives. Harry obviously impacted us on a global scale. I have only been to Cooperstown once in my life -- the day Harry was inducted."

Thanks to The 700 Level for posting audio of Scott Franzke's and Larry Andersen's sign-on to yesterday's game:



OK, your turn. Share your memories of Harry The K. Please leave a comment below, or if you prefer, e-mail me at slauber@delawareonline.com.

10 comments:

Bananafish said...

I'll never forget his voice, which I'll always associate with memories of keeping a scorecard with my Grandpop while watching games.

I think the line that most stands out:

"Chase Utley, you are the man!"

Cori said...

I'm only 20 and I've only been watching the Phillies for about five years or so, but I can't imagine watching or listening to a Phillies game without Harry in the booth. One time I got to sit in the Hall of Fame Club at Citizens Bank Park right below the announcers and it was neat to be able to watch him do the thing he loved up close. In between innings and after the game fans threw stuff up into the booth for him to sign, and now I wish I had done the same. Most memorable for me are the homerun calls in general, and that one call a couple years ago when he said "Chase Utley, you are the man!" It seemed so unusual for a man of Harry's age to use that phrase, but in a way it was so Harry because he was just so passionate about the game. His death makes last year's championship even more special knowing he left us with his Phillies as defending champs. Especially after all those years of him broadcasting Phillies teams that couldn't even make the playoffs, but still being able to entertain us and keep us watching with the Phillies 15 games out of first place. This loss has really hit me hard, and I didn't even know him, so I can't imagine what his friends and family are feeling. Thank you Harry, for all those wonderful memories, and may you rest in peace.

RJ said...

He was one of a kind. Listening to Phillies games will never be the same without him. Rosters changed daily, seasons came and went, but Harry Kalas was always the one constant. Win or lose he was there to bring us the action and the joys of victory. It was only fitting he finally got to call a World Series clincher last season. He and Whitey are up in heaven calling a helluva of a game. You will forever be missed Harry. Thanks for all the memories and the joy you have brought all of us over the years.

Unknown said...

Deep Shot...Left Field ...That Ball is OUTTA HERE..wow can hear that phrase in my sleep. God Bless Harry Kalas and his family and friends..

jack said...

In this day of trash talking and criminal athletes, Harry Kalas showed us what a real man is. He was always a gentleman and a family man and I am sure God is telling him "job well done Harry"

GM-Carson said...

Harry Kalas was/is Phillies baseball. I love and miss you already!

Anonymous said...

I grew up listening to Harry call the Phillies with my dad. When my dad was sick in the hospital in 1987, we heard Harry's call of Mike Schmidt's 500th homer together. Even when my dad passed away, Harry's call of a homer was still a little piece of my dad that I could hold onto. I feel like I lost that yesterday.

Zach said...

Harry's passing leaves a void that can never be filled. The man taught me the game of baseball and was the walking definition of enthusiasm and passion for the game.

He will surely be missed, but I'm endlessly thankful for the time we had with him.

Scott, has Pat Burrell made any statements? I haven't heard his reaction.

Anonymous said...

this might seem like strange question, but what about his son todd being hired by the phillis? any comments on that, scott?

Anonymous said...

I found this quote on the Verizon newswire:

"It was rough hearing that news," said Rays designated hitter Pat Burrell, a former Phillie. "I'm sure it was really tough on the guys [Phillies] because he traveled with us, he was part of us. When you think of the Phillies, you think of Harry Kalas. Now I'm really glad he had that moment [Phillies winning the World Series] last season."