Sunday, April 19, 2009

April 19 -- KALAS MEMORIAL & READER POLL

BY SCOTT LAUBER

So, we've heard so much over the past few days about how it will be impossible to replace Harry Kalas. Well, I spoke yesterday with someone who actually had that task. Hank Greenwald was the play-by-play broadcaster for the San Francisco Giants for many years. But in 1965, he took over for Kalas as the voice of the Hawaii Islanders of the triple-A Pacific Coast League.

"I quickly realized that Harry left a pair of shoes that couldn't ever be filled," Greenwald told me by phone. "He had ingratiated himself with the community, and he was sorely missed. He was a tough act, an impossible act, to follow."

In case you missed it, here's more from Greenwald in the News Journal's Sunday MLB notes. Also, here's our story in today's paper about yesterday's memorial service.

***
Programming note: On Wednesday at noon, I'll be hosting an online chat about the Phillies. So, please drop by with your questions. We're hoping to make this a weekly thing, each Wednesday at delawareonline.com. ... Also, don't forget to follow me -- and Philled In -- on Twitter.

***
READER POLL: For the past two games, the Phillies have played a video of Kalas singing his favorite ditty, "High Hopes," during the seventh-inning stretch. So, what do you think? Should "High Hopes" become the new tradition at Citizens Bank Park?


7 comments:

Cori said...

I was at the game last night and I thought singing High Hopes during the 7th inning was awesome. It's a great way to continue to honor Harry and the fans loved it. I hope they do it all year.

Zach said...

Absolutely, I would love if "High Hopes" became the everyday song during the seventh inning stretch. Bill Giles was on CSN during yesterday's ceremonies and said that Harry's "Outta here!" call will be a permanent fixture at CBP when a Phillie hits a home run, but that "High Hopes" will just be a tribute during this homestand.

I hope they change their mind on the latter though. It seems like everybody has been having a great time with it this weekend.

Andrew said...

absolutely.

I am so sick of hearing "country boy" during Orioles games. I want the Phils to have their own tradition and this is absolutely it.

Sophist said...

Love both of these things as temporary tributes. Other than the seventh inning stretch, I'm not a fan of these rituals. Let's not make HK a mascot.

Kieran Kelly said...

Absolutely.

High Hopes brought tears to my eyes on Friday night when I was at the game.

It should definitely be played from now on.

The Grim Reaper said...

I'd like to see them carry through with both through the end of the year, and then make a decision. Let's face it, right now everyone is still in mourning, and that's the worst time to make decisions.

I don't understand the Orioles playing Country Boy, or the Red Sox and Sweet Caroline - High Hopes at least makes sense as a tribute.

Of the two, I think I'd rather see "Outta Here," as the home run call becoming permanent, because I doubt anyone here will ever get tired of it, and I love the idea of sharing Harry stories to future fans.

Anonymous said...

High Hopes would be OK if Sinatra sings it (no offense Harry) but the "outta here" should be a lock.