Wednesday, May 30, 2007

May 30 -- DIRTY UTLEY?

So, the D-Backs left Philly with a three-game sweep. Not too shabby. But a few players were upset with Chase Utley for two hard slides Tuesday night. In the fifth inning, Utley hit shortstop Stephen Drew in the shin as he slid into second base on a double-play ball by Ryan Howard. In the seventh, the D-Backs alleged that Utley ran out of the baseline in an attempt to break up a double play hit by Pat Burrell.

Asked about the plays before tonight's game, D-Backs manager Bob Melvin had this to say: "Utley plays gritty and aggressive. [Dirty] depends on the intent. [On the play at] second base, I thought he was in the baseline. I thought he was out of the baseline at third. Sometimes you get carried away going after the fielder."

What did you think?

* Michael Bourn should've known better. And he admits it. Whenever Howard hits, opposing teams play an over-shifted defense, moving the second baseman into shallow right field. So, if anyone but Howard had hit that line drive in the ninth inning, it would've been a hit and Bourn would've been at least on third base. Because it was Howard, the ball was caught by Orlando Hudson, who easily doubled off Bourn at second. "I just ran on contact on a line drive and usually I freeze," Bourn said. "Normally, that’s a base hit but as a base runner, I should have known and I take the blame for it."

* Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Howard seemed more than a little perturbed today when he found out he wasn't in the lineup. Howard insisted he was feeling no after-effects from the cramp in his left quad that forced him from the game in the ninth inning Tuesday night. Charlie Manuel said it was simply a good night to give Howard a rest with Randy Johnson pitching. "It is what it is," Howard said. "I just show up. If I'm in, I'm in. If I'm not, I'm not."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

why does it seem that every player has a problem with charlie manuel in some way?

Anonymous said...

I don't think every player has an issue with Charlie per say, but I think it's because of these two reasons.

First, this generation of athlete is full of me-first cry babies. I'm not saying Ryan Howard is one (because he's not) but this is the type of mentality that is rampant.

Second, I think the players feel comfortable with Charlie and so they feel that they can make comments or have little girly hissy fits when he sits them.

In Howard's case, he just came off the DL on Friday and Randy Johnson is a filthy lefty. Meanwhile, Nunez has been hot and he's got play Helms at some point so I think it was a good move. I think sitting Howard was the right move. Then, he's fresh for the 4 games against the Giants and then an important series against the Mutts.

Just my .02

Scott Lauber said...

Think of it this way, Jamie: How many days do you go to work and find something about your boss that bothers you? It happens to everyone. Baseball players want to play. So, when Shane Victorino or Ryan Howard come to the ballpark and don't see their name in the lineup, they're upset. Since Charlie makes up the lineup, their anger is usually directed at him. But, and I can't stress this enough, that anger is temporary. I've been around a lot of teams that dislike the manager. This isn't one of them. Charlie is, if nothing else, a players' manager. To a man, I think these guys want to play for him. That's one problem this team doesn't have.

Anonymous said...

One problem this team DOES have is a piss-poor bullpen. How does Gillick expect Manuel to win him games when the Phils are 3-10 in one-run games, thanks largely to a lack of consistent relief pitching that can slam the door and get some holds. He's handcuffed Charlie and is pretty much asking the impossible from him: win now. None of the relievers, except Madson and Geary, even belong in a big-league 'pen. Maybe Zagurski, but that's it. This is just ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Ok you heard from me first. Howard will continue to struggle and not even come close to his numbers last year. He will continue to be confused on how to handle the shift. Funny thing is they did not shift him so much last year. HE HIT THE BALL TO ALL FIELDS !!!

The Phils will look good for a while, bomb for a while and keep us interested until the last week of July. I think I may be giving them too much credit.

Anonymous said...

eric: was that a real post? he was shifted non stop last year. and he didn't 'hit the ball to all fields.' he hit homeruns the opposite way. but he may have hit 1 GROUND BALL the opposite way last year.

Anonymous said...

Yeah that was a real post jaime. I watched 99% of the games last year. Some teams played him in a shift others did not. This year they ALL do. He hit the ball to ALL fields last year. Sorry you missed 99% of the games last year.

Anonymous said...

wrong. he got shifted everytime last year after about a quarter of the season was through.

he DOES NOT hit ground balls the opposite way. he'll fly out the opposite way, but WILL NOT hit opposite field ground balls. same with chase utley.

Anonymous said...

OK like I said they DID NOT shift him all year. 27 of his homerums were to the opposite field or center. His fly outs were all over the field. His ground outs were primarily to the right side (due to late season shift). He did hit 25 doubles last year many were to the opposite field. Doubles are an indicator of power. Many of his singles were to the opposite field.

Like I said this guy will struggle with the shift. There is no reason why he cant adjust with his power and bat speed.

The Phils will keep us interested for another month but again it will not be enough.