Friday, May 04, 2007

May 4 -- IT'S A SETUP

SAN FRANCISCO -- This isn't the exact view from my hotel window, but it's close. So far, everything I've heard about San Francisco is true. Absolutely breathtaking city. Hopefully, over the next few days, I'll get to see a little more of it.

Meanwhile, a few notes before I head back to AT&T Park.

* By now, you've read plenty about Brett Myers taking over the closer role while Tom Gordon is hurt (and perhaps beyond). But I neglected to mention in the 50-cent edition that Charlie Manuel said Ryan Madson and Antonio Alfonseca will share the setup role. Both pitched last night, and Alfonseca pitched quite well. Except for that walk-off homer by Andruw Jones on Monday night, he's been excellent.

* Talked to assistant GM Mike Arbuckle for a few minutes this afternoon. He said Ottawa manager John Russell and pitching coach Rod Nichols have been impressed by Yoel Hernandez's control. That's why Hernandez was called up instead of Joe Bisenius or Clay Condrey.

If you're watching the game tonight, check back here. I'll try to post a few more updates.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott - I feel like I'm on this road trip with the team...your blogs are wonderful.

I guess Gillick and Manuel asked John Russell for his hottest relief pitcher. Here's hoping they know best.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad to see yoel make it to the big club. he has been outstanding the past year and change. its just that injuries keep coming up and biting him in the ass. he was once herelded as the next closer for the phillies. so hopefully he impressed with the club in his short stint.