Friday, June 22, 2007

June 22 -- MINOR MATTERS

ST. LOUIS -- Greetings, all. Happy Friday.

The Phillies didn't play yesterday, which gave me time to have a great dinner at Mike Shannon's, by far the best reason to come to St. Louis (try the steak). This is my third trip here, and while downtown leaves a bit to be desired, I never cease to find the Gateway Arch breathtaking. One of these days, I'll even work up the courage to go to the top of it.

St. Louis is Ryan Howard's hometown, so on the occasion of his return, I decided to crunch some numbers that illustrate his effect on the rest of the lineup. It's staggering how much better Jimmy Rollins and Shane Victorino have hit since May 25 when Howard returned from his quad injury.

While the big club took the day off, there was much activity on the minor-league front. Right-hander Carlos Carrasco, perhaps the Phillies' top pitching prospect, made his debut for double-A Reading and allowed one run in five innings against Binghamton, the team I used to cover. Carrasco and single-A Lakewood second baseman Adrian Cardenas were picked to play in the Futures Game during All-Star week in San Francisco. Meanwhile, right-hander Zack Segovia, who opened the season with the Phillies, was demoted to Reading after going 1-9 with a 6.05 ERA at triple-A Ottawa.

Finally, before I left Cleveland, I checked out the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame. Cool place. I recommend it if you're ever in the neighborhood.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My suggestion in STL is a place called Charlie Gitto's Downtown. Great Italian food, and if I remember correctly, the downtown location is less formal than the other ones. Had a great lunch there a couple years ago.

Anonymous said...

I second the motion to visit the R&R Hall of Fame - don't miss Jim Morrison's Cub Scout uniform. Really!

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend 'Citizen Kane'. It is in the middle of Kirkwood, at 133 Clinton Place. I have eaten at many St. Louis Steak joints and Kane's is one of the best. For Italian you need to go to the Hill. I recommend Zia's at 5256 Wilson on the Hill. They sell their salad dressing locally as it is very good. Reminds me of South Philly or Little Italy in Wilmington. Me I'm a Philly fan in South Texas (Corpus Christi) who works for Boeing and used to live in Newark.

Larry