Monday, June 25, 2007

June 25 -- DURBIN ON FRIDAY

J.D. Durbin won the lottery.

Although left-handed prospect J.A. Happ pitched well yesterday for triple-A Ottawa and right-hander Matt Maloney got the win today for double-A Reading, the Phillies just announced they will call up Durbin to start one half of Friday's day-night doubleheader against the Mets.


Talked to assistant GM Mike Arbuckle today, and he offered this somewhat sobering assessment of the Phillies' need to dip into the minors for pitching help: "I don't know that anybody we bring [up], I'd really say this guy is absolutely ready to come up here now. Whoever we end up deciding, we're probably rushing these guys a bit."

Yikes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not let Durbin pitch against the Reds and hold Eaton for the Mets? Eaton has had a lot of success against NY and there would be a lot less pressure on Durbin. I don't understand this at all.

Jeff

Scott Lauber said...

Jeff: That's a tremendous question -- and one I can't believe I didn't think to ask! I will ask it today and get back to you. Only think I can think of is the Phillies don't want Eaton to have too much rest. He last pitched Saturday in St. Louis. Pitching him Friday would mean almost a full week off. But I'll ask today and get an answer.

wm said...

Does Durbin need to clear waivers again assuming the Phils don't keep him on the 25 man ? I recall Durbin is out of options. But Condrey was outrighted to Ottawa a few weeks ago without being exposed to waivers. The waiver rules are very confusing.