Sunday, July 22, 2007

Blue Rocks: On The Road No. 3

Rick Thompson, 41, from Frederica, has only been the Blue Rocks' bus driver this season (with Delaware Express). But he's driven a bus for four years and, before that, drove a tractor trailer for 10 years, so Thompson is familiar with life on the road.

While tonight's trip from Lynchburg to Salem will be short one, Thompson will also be at the wheel Wednesday night when, after a 7 p.m. game that night, the trip home will be about 350 miles.

"I'm pretty used to it," Thompson said about long, overnight trips. "I like to travel. That's what I've done all my life, is travel. I like interacting with the fellas. They're a good bunch of young men and I interact well with the coaching staff, and they seem to like me, so I enjoy it. I get paid to do something that I like to do."

Regarding the concessions here, prices are pretty good. A hot dog, order of french fries and soda, in a medium-sized souvenir cup, only costs $4.25. However, the hot dog only gets a C, as it merely satisfied my appetite and nothing more.

For comparison, I rate the hot dogs at Frawley Stadium (the two-dollar "regular ones") an A, and the dogs at Citizens Bank Park check in with a D, as Hatfield-brand hot dogs are too salty for my tastes.

Anyway, the Lynchburg fries do get a B-plus, served at a perfect temperature and already sprinkled with the right amount of salt and even a little pepper, which I enjoy once in a while on fries. As for the game, the Blue Rocks have taken a 6-1 lead in the top of the seventh on a solo home run by right fielder Brian McFall. McFall has homered for the second straight night and his seven dingers lead the Rocks.

Lastly, Caesar Rodney High graduate Ian Snell is among a few former Lynchburg players who has his picture hanging on the press box wall. Snell is 7-7 for the Pirates this season with a 3.31 ERA (10th in the NL) and 103 strikeouts (11th) in 127.2 innings.

No comments: