Sunday, July 22, 2007

July 22 -- THOU SHALT NOT STEAL

Happy Sunday, all.

So, remember how I said I'd be working on some "enterprise features" last week while the Phillies were in California? Well, one of those articles, on the lost art of stealing bases, is in today's $1.50 edition.

Contrary to popular belief, stealing is about much more than being able to run fast. Davey Lopes happens to be one of the best base thieves in baseball history, and he's been imparting his wisdom this season to Shane Victorino, Michael Bourn, Jimmy Rollins and any other Phillies who'll listen. I found it fascinating to listen to Lopes talk about reading a pitcher and deciphering the clues in his delivery that let a runner know when he should go.

As I was reporting and writing this story, I couldn't help thinking of this Gatorade commerical with Derek Jeter, John Lackey and Harvey Keitel. After talking to Victorino and Bourn, I kind of imagine Lopes sounding a little like Keitel in the first-base coach's box.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stop with the "50 cent" and "1.50 editions." It's rather childish and takes away from your commentary.