Saturday, August 18, 2007

Aug. 18 -- ALL EVEN

PITTSBURGH -- By the time they went to sleep last night, the Phillies were tied with the Padres atop the NL wild-card standings.

Hard to believe, isn't it?

After the Phillies started 4-11, the season looked lost. And things grew even more bleak when the parade of injuries began. But, somehow, the Phils are 61-45 since April 20, the best record in baseball.

I spent most of last night's 11-8 win writing about the offense, which finally broke out in a big way after batting .204 in the previous seven games. But, after the game, while Smash Mouth was playing down on the field, I changed course, focusing the game story on J.D. Durbin, who had some great things to say about his early-season odyssey through waivers. So, for those of you who live in Kent and Sussex counties, you read about the offense. In New Castle County, you read about Durbin.

I'm sure I've mentioned this in previous posts, but Durbin is a unique character. He ruffled some feathers during one spring training with the Twins for strutting around and calling himself "The Real Deal." But that's Durbin. He's confident in himself, even cocky, and he believes he belongs in the majors. The Phillies have let him be himself. Heck, they've even embraced him for who he is, putting nameplate above his locker that read "The Real Deal" and "The Durbinator," and I think it's put him at ease. He's relaxed, he's having fun, and he's pitching fairly well (4-1, 4.11 ERA as a starter), certainly better than Adam Eaton.

*
The notebook has some injury updates on Shane Victorino, Freddy Garcia and Rod Barajas. Victorino seems to realize he's going to have to play through some discomfort in his calf for the rest of the season. Big day for Garcia, who makes his first rehab start in the Gulf Coast League. I'll have an update for you later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of things. Keep Barajas on the DL. Chris Coste is a guy who can get it done.

I am die hard Phillie phan but I cant help but to wait for the collapse.

I said it earlier this team will keep us interested until late August maybe September. So far I was right. I hope I am wrong and this team pulls away from the rest of the wild card hopefuls. This team would be alot of fun to watch in the playoffs.

Anonymous said...

So Victorino has an owie in his leg. What a weenie