Saturday, August 04, 2007

Aug. 4 -- SAFE AT HOME?

MILWAUKEE -- Chris Coste got a rare vote of confidence yesterday when the Phillies placed veteran catcher Rod Barajas on the disabled list with a strained right groin. The move kept Coste in the majors and allowed the Phillies to recall recently demoted Clay Condrey to help their weary bullpen.

Coste also made his second straight start, and, wouldn't you know it, the Brewers won 2-1 on a pair of close plays at the plate. Coste said he felt worse than anybody after he dropped the ball trying to tag Corey Hart in the first inning and was unable to get the tag down ahead of sliding pitcher Yovani Gallardo in the fifth. Space limitations prevented me from getting a lot of this in the 50-cent edition, but here's Coste's take on the Hart play:

"I took it on too short of a hop. I should've backed up about 2 feet, since I had extra time. I had it halfway in my glove and halfway in my bare hand. I use a big glove. If I would've got it in my glove totally, it would've never come out."

And on the Gallardo play...

"I really thought he was going to call him out. I didn't realize he called him safe until five seconds after the play. I was leaning to walk off the field. I was confused. All I knew what that I had to catch the ball and put the glove down. He's an athletic pitcher, and he got a good jump. It was a perfect throw, and everything came together. I watched the replay, and it could've gone either way. The umpire really could've flipped a coin, and tie goes to the runner."

"No one feels worse than I do right now, especially with the game pitched by [Kyle] Kendrick. If we make both those plays at the plate, he pitches a shutout."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see Coste's point, but at the same time, Kendrick and the defense did play well enough to limit the Brewers to two runs, and typically, that is more than enough. The offense just couldn't get it done. But hey, that's baseball.