Sunday, August 19, 2007

Aug. 19 -- SUNDAY, RAINY SUNDAY

PITTSBURGH -- So, here I sit in the PNC Park press box, looking at this stunning view. Well, almost. At the moment, there are no players on the field, only a tarp. And instead of sun overhead, there's only rain. According to the latest forecast, it's going to rain for most of the day. As you might imagine, that has caused a delay in the Phillies-Pirates game until at least 2:15 p.m.

While we wait, I'll open the Blog to a discussion on baseball's nicest ballparks. PNC Park has to be on any list for many reasons, especially the breathtaking view of the Pittsburgh skyline (who knew?) across the Allegheny River. The Roberto Clemente Bridge links the ballpark with downtown. I've been to every park in the National League, with the exception of Dodger Stadium in LA and Petco Park in San Diego, and about half of the ballparks in the American League. It's with that disclosure that I modestly submit my list of the top-7 ballparks.

1. Fenway Park: Maybe I'm biased because I went to college in Boston and used to live in Kenmore Square, within walking distance of Fenway. But the Green Monster is positively striking the first time you see it. Make sure to try the chowda from the Legal Seafood concession stands or a sausage on Lansdowne Street.

2. Wrigley Field: Hard to find a better atmosphere inside or outside a ballpark. Wrigleyville is tons of fun. And the celebrity singing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the seventh-inning stretch is one of the coolest things in sports.

3. PNC Park: If only Pittsburgh's team was as great as its ballpark.

4. Oriole Park at Camden Yards: If only Baltimore's team was as great as its ballpark. The first of the retro ballparks is still one of the nicest.

5. AT&T Park: Great location on San Francisco Bay. Great food, too. Try the New England clam chowder in a sourdough bowl.

6. Yankee Stadium: OK, I'm biased. I saw my first baseball game here. And probably my second, third, fourth, 10th, 20th... The history and tradition in this place is downright overwhelming. Love the facade over the outfield. Make sure to take a trip to Monument Park.

7 (tie). Coors Field, Citizens Bank Park: If you don't mind high-scoring games, Coors is a nice-looking park in the very cool LoDo section of Denver. I probably take The Bank for granted since I'm there so often, but it's definitely one of the nicer new ballparks.

OK, your turn. Give us your list.

No comments: