Sunday, January 18, 2009

Jan. 18 -- HAMELS SPEAKS

BY SCOTT LAUBER

Cheer up, Eagles fans.

Pitchers and catchers report in 26 days.

Cole Hamels seemingly can't wait. He met the media today to discuss his three-year, $20.5 million contract extension and expressed relief that he won't have to wade through the distracting, sometimes divisive, arbitration process. After watching Ryan Howard's case reach a hearing last February, Hamels said he wanted no part of that. His nickname may be Hollywood, but Hamels dreads drama.

"I knew it had to be stressful just because of the media attention [Howard] was generating," Hamels said. "I don't want that pressure. I really don't. I don't want it to take away from what we go to spring training for, and that's to get ready for the season. I just knew that's not what I want to do. I don't need the extra added stresses of that process.

"Any time you try to put the business aspect in sports, it's very confusing and complicated and stressful. Now, knowing that this is done, I can really go out and focus and help this team win. It's stress that just disappears."

A few other Hamels-related notes:

--The Phillies prefer not to dole out contracts longer than three years to starting pitchers. They're willing to make exceptions, of course, but that wasn't an issue here. The Hamels side didn't want to go longer than three years. I asked Hamels' agent, John Boggs, if it was considered, and he said Hamels wanted to retain his last arbitration year and his free agency rights.

--Hamels will be eligible for free agency after the 2012 season, but he sounds like someone who wants to stay with the Phillies beyond that. "I grew up admiring Tony Gwynn," he said. "He was with the Padres his whole career, and that was something that really shows how someone can make an impact on a city. The city also made an impact on him. Getting drafted by the Phillies in my situation, with having an unstable arm and everybody was fearing I might break it, they had the faith that I would get through it. The organization is showing they want me to stay. That really inspires me even more."

--By now, you know that Hamels sets lofty goals. He'd like to throw one no-hitter per year and win multiple Cy Young awards. But, in 2008, his biggest goal was staying healthy. Hamels hadn't been healthy for a full season since his sophomore year of high school, but last year, he made 33 starts and finished second in the NL with 227-1/3 innings, before throwing 35 more in the postseason. The next goal? Doing it again. "I look at Tom Glavine," he said. "Unfortunately, he was injured for the very first time last year. But if the next time I ever get injured I'm 40, I'll be so happy and I think everyone will be happy. The injuries I had were so frustrating. I want to be accountable for what I have to do. Being a guy that doesn't get injured, you're able to really fulfill your end of the bargain."

--Hamels would love to see Howard sign a multiyear deal. Of course, that won't happen unless Howard's contract demands come down. Way down. But Hamels knows how valuable Howard is to the Phillies. "With the home runs that he hits and the games he helps us pull through, you've got to have a guy like that," Hamels said. "You've got to have a guy with that bat in the lineup to really scare the opposing team. That's what he does. He's perfect for this field and perfect for this city. I'd love to be him. I'd love to hit a home run 500 feet."

--About that new three-bedroom, 2,700-square foot condo that Hamels and his wife, Heidi, just bought in Two Liberty Place: No view of the ballpark, but "I can see over William Penn's head and the river," he said. "I think that's kind of cool." We concur. Hamels said he's keeping his place in West Chester, too.

Oh, and for the film buffs, the Hamelses recommend
"Valkyrie," starring Tom Cruise. They were at the movies Friday night when Boggs called to say that the deal was done. No, Hamels didn't answer his phone in the theater. He returned Boggs' call after the movie was over.

(Hamels photo by the Associated Press)

No comments: