Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Jan. 6 -- ROMERO SPEAKS; LINK TO BALCO (UPDATED)

BY SCOTT LAUBER

J.C. Romero is traveling today, and thus, unable to respond to The News Journal's (and other media outlets', I'm sure) attempts to reach him. But he has issued this statement, through representatives at Outside Eyes, a California-based public-relations firm that he has enlisted to help with his case.

"Basically, I am being punished for not having a chemistry lab in my house to test everything I put in my body, because reading the ingredients on a label is no longer good enough. I am all for catching the guys that cheat and punishing them. But I feel like I'm the victim of system where a player like me is punished because other players before me have blatantly broken the rules."

Apparently, though, the supplement used by Romero, 6-OXO, was manufactured by ErgoPharm, whose lead chemist, Patrick Arnold, pleaded guilty in 2006 to conspiring to distribute performance-enhancing drugs while working for the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative (known to me and you as "BALCO"). So, there's that.

Meanwhile, still trying to reach some live bodies at the MLB Players' Association. Less than an hour ago, MLBPA general counsel Michael Weiner issued a second statement that indicated the union never advised players that the supplement taken by Romero was safe. That would conflict with what Romero said in ESPN.com's initial report last night. So, we're trying to find out exactly what the MLBPA advised players about over-the-counter supplements purchased at U.S. retail stores. Thus far, though, our calls to the MLBPA have gone unreturned.

More later, hopefully.

***
Also, right-hander Chan Ho Park has passed a physical, so the Phillies have finalized his one-year, $2.5 million contract. Park will compete in spring training to be the No. 5 starter. If he doesn't secure that role, he'll pitch out of the bullpen.
Park pitched primarily out of the bullpen last season with the Dodgers, although he prefers to start. He said he received offers from five teams, but the Phillies were the only one that gave him the option of being a starter. Park may even consider not pitching for Korea in the World Baseball Classic to maximize his starts for the Phillies during spring training.
"Starting is better and more fun," he said. " Every five days people in Korea plan on watching the game. That's a big part of the game at this point in my career. My goal is to be a starter. That's how I am going to compete. Hopefully, I can make it."

2 comments:

Zach said...

Scott, just read that the Phillies signed Marcus Giles to a one-year minor league deal worth $600K. I guess it's just added insurance because of the Utley situation.

Two things pop into mind on this one: does this mean Jason Donald doesn't have a shot at cracking the 25-man out of Spring Training? And have Giles and Ruiz made up for their near-brawl back on August 24, 2007?

Scott Lauber said...

Zach: That's exactly what this is. Giles is insurance for Utley. I think Donald will have a shot in spring training, but keep in mind, he hasn't played above Double-A. So, it's not a terrible idea for him to get some more seasoning in Lehigh Valley. That said, if he has a good spring training, they won't hold him back because of Marcus Giles.

I'm sure Giles and Ruiz will "hug it out" in Clearwater. Good memory, by the way. I remembered Giles had a flareup with somebody in '07, but I didn't immediately recall that it was Ruiz.