Friday, February 13, 2009

Feb. 13 -- EATON TO PHILS: RELEASE ME

BY SCOTT LAUBER

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- So, we heard from Adam Eaton a little bit ago. Eaton is, without question, the elephant in the clubhouse. After opting to go home instead of pitching in the Florida Instructional League last October, Eaton isn't in the running for the Phils' No. 5 starter job this spring, according to Ruben Amaro Jr.

But there's still the matter of his $9 million left on his contract ($8.5 million salary in 2009, $500,000 buyout for 2010). The Phillies tried to trade Eaton in the offseason, and they'll continue to seek a taker for him during spring training. But it seems more likely they'll have to release Eaton and eat most of the remaining money.

Asked if he'd consider starting the season in the minors, Eaton said, "If we get to that point, I'll be released. And I don't think that's the end of the world by any means. It would be kind of prudent not to trade for me. I'm not going to accept another assignment. It doesn't take a rocket scientist for another GM to maybe wait and take your shot at getting me for less than a trade would be."

A few other gems from Eaton today:

On not being included in discussions about the four-man race for the fifth starter job: "I knew already, obviously. If I establish myself, it might not be here. That's just the way it is. There's a lot of pitchers vying for the fifth spot. Stuff happens. Who knows what's going to happen? Hopefully, nothing does happen, and it makes it a very difficult decision for them. But I just have to get ready for a season. I'm not going to shortchange myself or my teammates now or in the future. If it's a season here in Philly, so be it. If it's a season somewhere else, that's the way it is."

On what he was doing during the playoff run and parade: "I definitely watched. It was the most baseball, regular season, postseason, that I've ever watched probably since the Atlanta Braves in 1991 or '92. It was definitely weird. I had my own little celebrations, running around the house when [Joe] Blanton hit his homer. It was fun to watch, but at the same time, it was definitely weird to watch it and hear the commentary when you know the guys."

On passing up the chance to pitch in the Florida Instructional League: "Let's be honest here. I didn't pitch in September, I'm not going to pitch in the postseason. It was a loaded question. I think they had an idea what I was going to say. What's the difference if I watch it here and continue to work out or if I watch it at home? Same result. Whether or not they frowned upon my decision, if they didn't want me to decide that, they shouldn't have given me an option. I also thought, me being there, I don't want to detract from what's going on as well. There's that flip side, too. I don't need to be an extra guy who can't do anything to help. I haven't heard of any gripes among the guys or anything like that. I don't think they have an opinion, and if they do, I hope they'll come express them to me."

On not being part of the celebration or parade: "That's hard. Obviously, I'll receive a World Series ring, but I haven't competed in a World Series. Anyone who has been in that situation, in that dugout, you still want to compete. I've been in other playoffs where I haven't pitched. You want to get out there and compete in that situation to test yourself."

More from Eaton in tomorrow's News Journal. Also, we'll get you some Ryan Howard quotes in a bit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Feb. 13 -- FAN TO PHILS: SAY OKAY"

Anonymous said...

THE PHILLIES SHOULD HAVE KEPT DUCKWORTH

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for him...I mean, I think we can all sympathize with being not good enough at baseball to play in the major leagues. Just like Adam Eaton.

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't give up Chris Young and Adrian Gonzalez for him. What a waste of a trade that was for Texas! At least you're only out the dinero. Release him and cut your losses.

Russ - TX

Anonymous said...

Eaton has been stealing money for years. He was bad when he was good.If Eaton was half of man he would have accepted the Phils offer of a 80% buyout. No this greedy SOB wants every dime even though he hasn't earned one cent. Planet earth speaking Adam. No one wants you in a trade because you flat out stink. The Phils have tried to trade you and even offered to pay 85% of your salary but there are no takers because your a bum. the fact you didn't go to the fall league proves that you have no pride and care only about yourself.

Unknown said...

Brett Myers went to the Minors when asked, and took it without causing Drama.

He Manned up to do the right thing for his team, and they stood by him after that. Look where it got him - he went from a Goat to a Playoff hero.

Adam Eaton refusing to work things out now in the Minors, actually saying straight out not to trade for him? Not someone anyone is going to want on their team.